Sharing My Story

The thought that I've needed to share my story has been pretty insistent lately, and although I'm not really sure what to share or how to share it, I feel inclined to (once again) dust off this old thing and start sharing thoughts out to the universe (or whoever still reads this....hi!).

As I was yet again cleaning my sons' bedroom carpet (Calvin apparently thinks it's really funny to practice his newfound potty-training skills on his bedroom floor) this morning, a thought that I'd experienced during my marathon last weekend struck me.

As I was hitting around Mile 21, I remembered that the St. George marathon is known for its beautiful settings, and I realized that, although this was my second time running this same marathon, I literally couldn't describe what the setting looked like at all!

The thought came to my mind, "Look up."

As I did, I realized that for the past three hours, I'd been running past beautiful vistas that are similar to something you'd see on a postcard in a gift shop.  There were stunning red rock cliffs, open views, lovely valleys, and gorgeous open landscape--and I nearly missed it ALL.  AGAIN.

But because of the reminder to find the beauty--even in the midst of the exhaustion and pain that comes from hitting Mile 21 in a 26.2-mile race (because 26.3 miles would just be crazy, right?)--was powerful to me, and it kept my mind occupied for about the next three miles, thinking of times that I've been so focused on getting to the "finish line" that I completely forget that it's about the process of getting there.

My kids are in the middle of some AMAZING phases right now.  Jack is 10, Clark is turning 9 in a month, Maggie is 7, Calvin is 3 and Ollie is 17 months.  They are all in the middle of learning new things and exploring and developing and growing, and I am lucky enough that I get to be home with them to help and watch and learn along with them...sometimes relearning things I'd forgotten long ago (my basic math skills really have gotten SO rusty), and sometimes learning things from entirely new perspectives that I'd never thought about before.

So, even in the midst of cleaning funky smelling bedroom carpets or dealing with tantrums caused by broken graham crackers, I can still look up, see the beauty around me, and find joy in the moment I'm living in.

I'm grateful for the reminder.

Comments