halfhearted updates

Time for me to dust off this old thing, apparently!

I set a goal last year to blog at least weekly (or on an average of four times a month)... and you can tell that I did GREAT with that goal--up until I got pregnant.

Pregnancy is TOTALLY what we had been wanting and waiting and working for, and so I wasn't the least bit disappointed when I got pregnant, although it meant that any previous ability and/or inclination I had to write was completely gone.

Every time I am done with morning sickness, I look back on it and think, "Man, if I had just had more willpower, I would have totally been able to continue functioning as a basic human being...." But then it hits again and I remember that morning sickness has nothing to do with willpower or mind over matter and has everything to do with hormones.

Lots of them.

Thankfully, I am now 21 weeks along (halfway point!!! YAAAAAY!) and feeling human once again. I can now look back fondly on the months of physical misery/mental exhilaration (I am truly so very grateful for the privilege of being pregnant right now), but I am also grateful for the privilege of once again being able to function beyond dragging myself out of bed only to pour my children each a bowl of cereal and then pass out on the couch for the rest of the day.

I could tell I'd rounded the bend the other day when I swept, mopped, folded laundry, AND made dinner all in one day without needing a nap after each individual chore.  Big day for the Busch household, lemme tell ya.

While it seems like a blog would be the perfect pastime for someone who's feeling physically miserable, I genuinely didn't have the mental strength or capacity to sit and try to write, much less finagle the pictures I always wanted to download.  I even tried just copying down some family history documents that Grandma Busch gave me to type into Family Search, and that had to be done in shifts.  Sitting and focusing was too hard for me to do, much less trying to come up with my own words to share.

Man, I sound like a wimp.

Needless to say, I am far too behind to stress about catching up entirely (although I might pull a few old posts out and dust them off completely out of chronological order, just to keep y'all on your toes), so this halfhearted update will have to do for now.

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue working on getting my computer to update all of the pictures on my phone, and then I shall blitz this blog with photos like you wouldn't believe!!  Just you wait!!

....Or maybe those photos will end up just being saved to our iCloud drive.  Like the thousands that have gone before them.

Sigh.

At least I'm a realist.

Comments

Shauni said…
I hear ya! I've been blogging consistently since #1 was a baby, except for the first three months of pregnancy with #2. It's kind of sad, because those were eventful months! We had just gotten in touch with Jordan's biological father's family, and it's sad to me that we didn't document it in the moment, but morning sickness is just so incredibly draining.