Easter 2017

Easter is one of my favorite holidays.  I love being reminded yet again of my Savior's Atonement, especially at a time of rebirth and light.  Spring is usually not a very enjoyable season for me, because here in Northern AZ, it tends to be when the wind blasts us (and the yard that I get too excited too early about cultivating) into oblivion, but this spring has been warm and welcoming and beautiful.  The gentle weather makes it somehow easier for me to contemplate the principles of life and rebirth that are inherent in our Savior's teaching, and while sitting here on my front porch in the warm sunlight, my heart is full of love and gratitude for these beliefs which are so very dear to me.

This Easter, Steve ended up working, and I woke up and felt the need to send him this text:

"Happy Easter, my love!  What a joy that you get to spend the day of our Savior's Resurrection healing others the way He did."

I am so glad that I had that thought first thing this morning, because otherwise, I could have felt very irritated or triggered trying to get 4 kids through all the typical Easter morning traditions and ready for church by myself.  Instead, I was filled with peace amidst the chaos.  Which for me, is a miracle.
And they clean up pretty nice, don't they?  

Yet another series of pictures in which I attempt (unsuccessfully, I may add) to get all of my children looking at the camera and smiling at the same time:

Good thing they're cute.

Also, the obligatory bunny-ears-on-the-baby picture:

Followed by the obligatory bunny-ears-on-the-dog picture:
This morning, I was feeling some guilt that although the Easter Bunny set up his typical scavenger hunt for our kids to find their baskets (shown in time-lapse below): 

I didn't really go overboard this year for Easter.  Our decorations were minimal (and by minimal, I mean non-existent), and while I tried to talk about Christ more than usual over the past few days, I didn't do activities to teach my children hands-on experiences they would remember like what I saw my friends doing on Facebook.

I spent the early morning before my kids got up reading scriptures and general conference talks about my Savior, and after the hubbub of getting everyone to church, I sat in the pew (next to our bishop's dear wife), thinking about all the ways I could have made this day more meaningful for my family.  Suddenly, as the sacrament was blessed, I felt washed over with pure love and peace, which stayed with me through the remainder of my meetings (no small feat when three hours of meetings often equals three hours of wrestling children).  

I was reminded that magnifying callings (including the calling of parenthood) does not necessarily mean making them more complicated.  Sometimes it involves simplifying.  Moments were brought to my mind of testimony shared with my children, scriptures read as a family, snuggles shared in my bed or on the couch, and comfort given during times of tears or stress.  I was reminded that although I am imperfect and flawed in more ways than are possible to list, Christ's Atonement works with me to make me enough to meet the needs of my small but sweet little family.

Happy Easter, everyone.  I hope your Easter is spent feeling Christ's love for you and sharing that love with others in whatever ways you possibly can.

Comments