Snow Morning!

I was originally going to title this post "Snow Day!", but I realized that in our little town, that would be somewhat of a misnomer, as our snow rarely lasts through the entire day, which I'm not complaining about.  One of the joys of living in my little Northern Arizona town is that we get snow often enough for it to be a joyful novelty, but it melts before it gets to be too much of a hassle.

Last Saturday was one of those joyful snow mornings.  After three days of gloomy and slushy weather (wet and freezing but not pretty), we woke up to about four inches of snow!!  The kids were grabbing their coats and hats and scarves before I had even fully woken up, and so after a scramble of warm clothing preparations, we all hustled out into the snow to get our fill before it melted.

This next series of pictures I call: "Trying to get a picture of four children all looking at the camera at once"


Because Steve had to work that day (and because his work is in a significantly higher elevation that gets about four times as much snow as we do), he took our bigger car rather than his Yaris to work (thank heavens.  There were a lot of accidents on the road that day).  I called my parents to see if they wanted to play in the snow together, which they loved, and then I added the stipulation that if they wanted to, they'd have to come pick us up.

I'm so lucky to have such patient parents.

This next post is titled: "Four Kids, Two Dogs, and One Insane Momma in a Minivan"

By the time we got to my parents' house, the kids were raring to go!  We got to work right away on a snowman (of course), which I am now remembering is a whoooole lot of work.

McKay was helpful, while my mom mainly enjoyed throwing snowballs at anyone who was foolish enough to turn their back on her.

I love how Maggie's hat kept sliding down over her eyes.

My cousin Lot came over for a bit, but I don't think the cold agreed with him too much, as he headed inside significantly earlier than the rest of us did.

NanaDee reloading:
'
Grandpa gave lots of helpful hints on the engineering necessities of said snowman:

Snow mornings are the best!

Also, don't be totally jealous of our glamorous designer snow apparel.  I know everyone wants to look like us.

Abe was a big help, too--he, my mom, and I had all run our long run for the week the day before, so between the three of us there was a lot of moving in sloooow motion.

After a while, I gave my mom the duty of holding Calvin.  I told her it was to let him sit outside and enjoy the snow, but if I'm being honest, it was mostly just to keep her from throwing snow at me.

Because the snow had already melted enough by the time we were actually building to make it hard to find enough snow for a snow man, Maggie had the brilliant idea of taking a little wagon to the deeper snow areas and bringing it back to the snowman.

Abe again!

....and here is the finished result!  Our very own snowman!

Along with Grandpa:

Silly pose!!

Jack isn't in these pictures because he was working on his own personal snowman; he got the entire man built but then lost steam just before adding the face; otherwise, I would have gotten a picture of him, too.

All right!  One Snow Morning successfully recorded!!

Comments