Speechless

I have no way to possibly express my gratitude for the wonderful family and friends I have.

You see, yesterday, in a moment of weakness, I typed five words on my Facebook status: "Guys, PPD is no joke."

A screaming baby, two whiny preschoolers, and a total panic attack prompted me to reach out in the only way possible as I waited in what seemed to be the longest McDonald's drive-through line EVER.  I was attempting to make good on a rash promise to my preschoolers that we'd do something "fun," like go to McDonald's on the way to my mom's and get lunch at a time when even the idea of making peanut butter sandwiches seemed completely overwhelming. Feeling trapped, I wrote the words, pushed "post,", then put my phone away as a confused drive-through worker handed me a bag of burgers and a side of fries while I sobbed out a garbled "Thank you" and drove away, crying.

I went back to delete my whiny post after arriving at my mom's (what has been my safe haven on Steve's working days), and I was completely overwhelmed by the outreach of love people extended to me without judgment, condemnation, or the need to know more.  I had people offer to babysit, reach out to me to share their own experiences with this particular monster and even come by and drop off sweet gifts (I wasn't home all day...I felt that it would probably be a better idea to stay at my mom's, where I could count on non-hormonally-challenged people to help me with my kids, and I didn't answer the phone all day--crying over the phone is something I try to avoid whenever possible).

But guys, I just want to say:

I'm overwhelmed by your love.  

I've usually struggled with PPD/Baby blues after my kids are born.  It was the worst with Jack and the easiest with Maggie, but I knew this was coming.  This time, I thought I had enough of a support system--a plan--in place to where I wouldn't have to go totally crazy.

I even went in for my one-month post-baby appointment, and while I scored higher on the depression scale test they give you than I would've liked, my doctor complimented me on knowing my limits, having a good back-up plan for those moments that are tough, and having a good support system in place.  I patted myself on the back for having it all together, then went home.

And then my baby got sick:
And my previous routines and semi-functional household ceased to be routines.  Or functional.

I spend a lot of time right now holding a sick, sleeping baby, trying to help him breathe a little easier (I'm learning that touch is a powerful help when your baby isn't feeling well), and trying to ignore all of those unrelenting voices in my head that keep telling me that I'm doing it wrong, that I'm doing too much, that I'm not doing enough, that I'm a bad mom, that I'm a horrible housekeeper, that I'm a bad wife, that my messy house is a direct reflection of my inner worth.  But those incessant voices are hard to ignore sometimes, and sometimes, from time to time, despite my determination to fight them, I occasionally give in and actually BELIEVE those voices.

For the record, Calvin has been a GOOD sick baby, still cheerful on occasion:

BUT the constant demands of a sick baby who only wants momma, plus a sick older brother:

It's just getting to be a lot.

Believe me, I'm trying to use remedies that I KNOW work: besides my prayer and scripture routine, I try to regularly exercise, occasionally get dressed up (which rarely lasts longer than a couple of minutes, as evidenced below).

I have a goal to go outside and sit in the sun during this amazingly warm February and March on every warm day, eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, and get out at least once a week with only Calvin.  But,despite my best efforts, there are times when the monster strikes, and usually those moments are completely out of the blue.

For example, Monday was a good day, for the most part.  Steve was working (which I've learned means that he'll be gone for at the very least 14 hours that day), so, knowing that in advance, I went to my mom's for the day.  We made Leap Day sugar cookies, I ate my fruits and veggies, I even read to my kids, and we came home at the end of the day.  I started to feel a little stressed on the way home as I realized that I would have to put the kids to bed by myself, and encouraged them (not in an incredibly positive way) to just get home, brush teeth, put pajamas on, and get in bed, as we'd already done scriptures and prayer.  

I was in the kitchen, sighing at the totally cluttered counter and sink filled with dirty dishes, when Clark came in, gleeful: "Jack's peeing in the sink!!!"

I ran in, and Jack was looking incredibly guilty as he pulled his pants back up.  WHY my 6-year-old thought it was a good idea to pee in the bathroom sink (which, yes, had assorted toothbrushes still lying in it), I have no idea...but what would have usually been an occasion where I would have sighed but thought of a funny blog post to write about it, well, it wasn't funny at the moment.

I was furious.  I yelled, I screamed, I slammed doors.  

Steve luckily came home at that point, but I still felt about two inches tall as I went and hid in the closet for a bit, changed into some running clothes, and went on a run, regardless of the dark.  I had to get OUT of my house and AWAY from my children.

The run helped momentarily, but it didn't stop me from crying myself to sleep or waking up with anxiety all night long.  And so yesterday, when I woke up feeling the same way, I reached out, with an immediate, visible result:
(These were on my front porch when I came home from my mom's last night.  Thank you, whoever you are)

And although I'm feeling my fair share of shame for being so weak and vulnerable in such a public place as the internet, it's truly inspiring to see what kind of charity and acceptance people are capable of.

For the record, I have an appointment with my wonderful OB-GYN later this afternoon, and while it's hard on the ol' self esteem to have gotten to this point, I'm grateful to have concerned and loving people around me to help me through this darkness with their little bits of sunshine, service, and loving kindness.

Thanks.

Comments

ambrklly said…
Haha, it might be funny if I hadn't lived your day about 100 times, including the screaming and minus the availability of my mom's house, which is about 13 hours too far away ��. Sometimes it's just dang hard, I don't know what pixie dust those "able to a handle anything" moms got sprinkled with but I didn't get any! It's taken some frank talks with myself and jaxon, apologies to my kids, and accepting that there are certain things that I have to pay money for to help me be the best I can be, including a gym membership and my naturopathic care. It's super hard to reconcile the mom I always pictured myself as and the one that shows up every day. It'll be better sometimes and worse sometimes, just keep swimming
Kelly said…
Yeah. It sucks. I didn't experience PPD with my girls but I did with my boys. I don't like me when I am going through that. I don't like my knee jerk responses or my detatched parenting or how life isn't fun. It is really really hard. The only things that get me through are daily check-ins with Ted (those long nursing shifts are tough, no?), prayer, a lot of sleep (read: any sleep I can get with a newborn), and the temple. I hope you find your coping mechanisms and they, whatever they may be, take the edge off. Good luck sweetie. You are one amazing gal.
Debi Lassen said…
You are loved, Jewel...just the way you are. I think most every mother, myself included, has been where you are and so do NOT listen to the voices from the adversary telling you you are a bad person, woman or mommy. You aren't. It's just plain hard to have many little ones. You are doing all the right things and you are in survival mode right now. Love yourself, take care of yourself with those "runs" and eating the best you can and immerse yourself in scriptures and prayer. As you take care of yourself, you will be able to take care of your little ones. I'm glad you have your mother near by....she has been there, too. I can remember praying many times a day that I could try to not yell until lunchtime....then again until 3:00 and then again until dinner time. My children have somehow managed to not remember me like that. Thank goodness. You are enough, just as you are. You get up every day and keep moving or as we say in our family quoting Dori, "just keep swimming!". Thanks for sharing. Reaching out and writing and putting yourself out there is very therapeutic and may just help someone else who is feeling exactly the same. You are not alone sweet niece. I love you and so do many, many others. xoxoxoxox Aunt Debi
Sarah said…
We love you, Jewel! You are dealing with hard stuff. Thanks for sharing something so personal. It helps others to know they aren't alone in their struggles..you aren't alone either! If you ever need to talk, give me a call. Know that we love you and pray for you. I always say that if nothing else helps, prayer does. So you are in our prayers. :) Sending love and hugs your way.