Who Doesn't Like a Newborn Photo Shoot?

I am SO excited to share with you these beautiful pictures my aunt Jennifer took of our newly-extended family!  These pictures were taken three (four?) weeks ago, when Calvin was about four pounds lighter.  I knew I wanted pictures of our family, but I also knew that I didn't want it to be too stressful, so we moved the mess in our front room to the other side of the couch and focused on taking all the pictures in one little quickly-cleaned-up corner.  You'll probably note that some of us aren't even wearing shoes, but, hey--that's what happens when you have four kids, right?  Certain details just aren't as important anymore!

So, here, in no particular order, is a little photo-vomit from Yours Truly!

*Disclaimer: these photos haven't been edited or photoshopped in any way yet, but I just couldn't resist sharing them, anyway, especially knowing it could be quite a while before I have the time/energy/gumption to do any kind of editing on them!*

For a while, Clark wasn't smiling in pictures, and when I asked him why, he said that he didn't like that his eyes scrunched up.  I laughed, because when I would take pictures on my mission with my Asian companions, they'd point out that my eyes always ended up looking more squinty than theirs did!

I let Clark know that squinty eyes are worth a big, genuine smile, and so he very kindly conceded to smile big for the camera!

He even did a glamour pose--all we need is for him to grab his collar!

 The first attempt at a family picture, and it wasn't awful!  We're even all (except for Calvin, of course) looking at the camera and smiling--at the same time!!  It's true.  Miracles do happen.
 Same pose, a little different--I love that Jack is cracking up and Calvin's looking for a snack in this one.
 Everyone, look at the baby!!  Honestly, the adoration in my kids' faces is so genuine and heartfelt.  They all truly love our newest little boy.
 This one might be my favorite family picture.
 Parents and the baby!
 Everyone, let's put our hands in--Gooooo, team!!
 Baby yawns are just so precious.
 Okay, baby everythings are just so precious.
 Thinking....
 The three big kids.  I'm cracking up at Clark's expression.
 I love how blue Jack's eyes look in this picture.  He is SUCH a great kid.   
 Yup.  That semi-foggy, exhausted look of parents of a newborn.  You can recognize it anywhere.
A few days ago, my parents had taken all three big kids out to their house to ride bikes, and so Steve and I took advantage of the lack of children and took Calvin on a trip to Lowe's.  As we were walking down the aisle, me holding Calvin in my arms (he didn't like the car seat too much that day), a sales associate glanced at us, smiled, and said, "Wow--you've got your hands full today, don'tcha?"
I cracked up--little did he know that we'd left literally half of our family at home!!  

Our four children.   Aren't they gorgeous?

 Told you we had some bare feet/holes in pants...

Because Maggie didn't start Preschool until after school pictures were taken, we asked Jennifer to get a few solo shots of her.  This was one attempt:

 I LOVE how my kids' personalities come out in this picture!

And this one... 

I'll be honest, Jack was a little jealous he didn't get to hold Calvin in these pictures, but we tried to content him with holding Calvin's head pillow.  He was a good sport--but his favorite picture was definitely the silly one, of course!
 Clark will do one silly shot.  That is all.  And Maggie will do the exact same facial expression in every silly shot.
 Brothers--I have three boys!  It makes me so happy!
 Told you she'd do the same facial expression!
 And there's a good smile!
 Baby C.
 School style photos--Maggie was so excited that her favorite animal blanket got to be in her picture!
 Her eyes in this one, though--it cracks me up!
 Aaaaand....pose!

 I have an idea!!  Let's wear the backdrop as a cape!!  Yeah--that should work!
 Jack desperately wanted a picture of him holding Cal--and it turned out gorgeous.
 Solo shots of the baby....
 He really wasn't too thrilled about posing without his paci, so we got a lot of pacifier shots.

 After a while we just gave up and I picked him up and held him.
 I know it's kind of silly, but I actually love that my ring is a little crooked in these pictures--it seems like the perfect metaphor for my life right now.  Definitely imperfect, a little crazy, could probably use some straightening up from someone more organized or detail oriented than I am, but still precious and beautiful.

Those eyes, though.
 I didn't realize she was getting me in the shot, which is why I like how much this one turned out.  I'm one of those people who's much better in candid shots, apparently.
 So much peace.
 I LOVE this close up of his face!

 We have some dear friends who sent Calvin his very own "Hobbes--" and although I have a couple of awesome pictures of the two of them together on my phone, we tried it again in this photo shoot.
Needless to say, Calvin was not impressed.  I'm sure they'll grow on each other eventually.

 Right?

Daddy-son shoot.  I love Calvin's little expression in this one:

 A little closer up:


 Isn't my husband handsome?

And extra bonus, he gives me such pretty babies.

 It always strikes my funny bone when newborns go cross-eyed, so I was so happy that Jennifer caught it in Calvin, haha!
 Another shot of me holding him--I'm not a fan of how puffy my face always looks after pregnancies, but the joy in my expression is something I'm glad I have recorded.

 Calvin loves to hold his hands like this on his chest.  Steve calls it his Dracula Pose.

I also love that Calvin was born with my Grandpa Flake's hairline--a very distinctive widow's peak.  Kind of makes me think of how grateful I am for every single person who went before my husband and I who contributed to our children's genes--their looks, their fingernails, their personality quirks--its so fun to think that they all come from any number of incredible combinations that served to create each one of our unique, beautiful, incredibly special children.

 And I just have to say it, I feel that we have yet to have an unfortunate combination.

 Those tiny hands:

 And tiny feet.




It might seem like overkill, but I can never get enough of those beautiful baby feet.

Sleeping:

 Oh, how I'd forgotten just how truly incredible this newborn stage is.  Exhausting and overwhelming, yes, but oh, so fleetingly, poignantly beautiful.

 There have been the less-than-poignant moments, too...the dirty diapers, the spit-up (OH, the spit-up), the crying and sleepless nights and congested snuffling that comes when a newborn gets a cold.

As one of my favorite comedians, Jim Gaffigan says,

"When people ask me what it's like having four kids, I say, just imagine you're drowning...
 ....and someone hands you a baby."

Yup.  Sounds about right.

Buster has been incredibly patient with yet another disruptive addition to the house, so Jennifer decided to get a few shots of him:

 It's weird to me to see him looking like such an old dog.  He's so young in my mind still!
He's such a good dog, though--every time he comes in from being outside, he immediately finds me, then finds Calvin, gives him a sniff (and sometimes a quick lick), then goes to lie down somewhere--usually on a discarded baby blanket.
He's doing a lot more lying down than he used to.  Weird how seven is old in dog years--especially when that dog is missing a leg.

And, like I said, despite the craziness of newborn adjustment, underneath it all, there is such incredible joy.

I mean, just look at us! Tired, yes.  

Happy?  
Oh, most definitely.

Comments