Yet Another Picture Post

I know lately most of my posts have been heavy on pictures and light on the funny story-telling that I usually like, but we've just had a lot of fun opportunities for pictures.  So here yet again is a post with several pictures and captions for each one, but since you were warned about exactly what it was with the title, I don't feel guilty posting this self-indulgent picture album. 

A few weeks ago, I rode up with the kids and my parents to Flagstaff for my brother's cross-country meet.  Steve was supposed to come up with us, but due to the fact that he woke up with a crazy fever/headache/coughing/achy/yucky (sound like a NyQuil commercial yet?), he didn't accompany us.  

Like an awesome sister, I didn't get any shots of the actual cross-country meet (I was busy counting my children and trying desperately not to step on any of the many hidden cacti that were waiting to catch me unawares--Clark ended up stepping in one of them and got several spines up in his ankles), but I got several shots of the kids playing at the park afterward!
I tried to get a few shots of Jack because I've been noticing that I'm not getting a lot of pictures of him lately--mostly because he's in school all day and is the most social little kid I've ever met and loves being at friends' houses...but I figured out that yet another reason I have so few pictures of him is because he doesn't sit still for long enough to get any shots of him!

He and Clark played tag--it was pretty funny watching Clark's short legs desperately trying to keep up with Jack.

Maggie made a friend!

Playgrounds are the best.

Jack's mouth was full of food, but he wanted to show off how good he's getting at the monkey bars.

Love that kid!

Clark saw that I was taking pictures and demanded that I take at least a dozen of him--after which I had to show them to him immediately.  "Lemme see!!"

It's crazy that they're so independent now!! For example, both Clark and Jack can pump themselves on the swings--it was a pretty awesome day for me when I figured that out.

Abe was a good sport and helped keep the kids entertained.

Jack saw my dad resting on the ground and couldn't just let him lie there without helping him truly relax.

Also, by this point, the kids were all tired from being out in the sun (without sunscreen--I'm usually SO careful about sunscreen but completely forgot!!)

Because of that, I got the worst sunburn I've had in years.  Siiigh.  Also, Maggie fell asleep on the way home against my shoulder, and it was just so darn adorable that I had to take a picture.

A few days later, I took the kids in to get shots, and they were both SO brave--neither of them cried at all, and Clark even watched the nurse put the needle into his arm!!  *shudder*  He must be related to his dad--I can't handle needles!!

Last week, my brother and sister-in-law came down from Utah to surprise my mom and dad for their birthdays (their birthdays are a week apart), and it was SO fun to see how shocked my mom was.

The kids had a BLAST playing with their cousins--one of the biggest hits for all of them to play with was our costume box.

Spiderman (aka Clark), Shiloh, Gid, and Danica

Tirzah-belle, Maggie/Cinderella, and Spidey-Clark.


Cousin doggie-pile!!

Also, yes, Maggie's room is still trashed.  We don't want to move on from having cousins over too soon!!

Cindyll, Clark, and Tirzah on the play set in the backyard.
The three girls were basically inseparable for the entire week!  It was fun to see--I loved growing up with cousins my age, and I'm so glad my kids get that same experience!


Hangin' out in the backyard....note Tirzah's awesome bandit zebra princess outfit!  (Also, apparently Clark makes a pretty comfortable cushion).
The adorable Gid.  Hanging out with this kiddo made me so excited to have another boy!!
Jack just looked so cute standing on our propane tank that I had to snap a picture--
Aaaand...the birthday girl!!  All year, my mom has been telling everyone that she was 52.  On her birthday, we asked how old she was, and she said, "53!!" 

My dad quickly interrupted and said, "Actually....you're 52.  You were 51 last year."

So apparently my mom has been lying about her age all year long.  I freakin' love that lady.
The birthday group!  Having Danica stay with us was awesome--she helped plan/cook/clean up after all the meals, and for my mom's birthday, I suggested pizzas (I'm not exactly a fancy cook), and Danica totally jazzed them up!  Instead of boring pizzas, we ended up with gourmet pizzas (my personal favorite was the chicken/bacon/tomato/spinach one with alfredo sauce), salad, and a deliciously rich chocolate cake.

Another day, we went horseback riding at my Grandma Flake's--the girls were all excited to wear cowgirl clothes--including braids.
I didn't get any pictures of them riding the actual horses, but the girls had fun playing on the swing set while Shiloh got in quite a lot of cardio running after the horses trying to catch and saddle them.
Isn't this so idyllic?
I grew up playing on this swing set, and we also have pictures of my mom visiting Snowflake and playing on this same swing set.  Fun tradition!
Cutest girls ever!
My parents have a strawberry patch in their front yard and we had fun playing migrant workers (and eating the deliciously ripe, sweet strawberries along the way).
The next week was my dad's birthday.  He's more of a pie fan than a cake fan, and so Danica made him a strawberry lemonade pie, as well as an amazingly delicious apple pie.  We put in all 55 candles, and of course our local pyromaniacs were more than happy to light all the candles:
Jack ready with the pie spatulas:
Taking the candles out--the pie may or may not have had a few wax drippings on it.
I love this picture--my parents are such fantastic examples of a happy marriage!
My parents have one lone chicken--we call her The Survivor, because although all of their other chickens have disappeared/died/bitten the dust, this tough girlie is still going strong a year later.  She's still a heavy egg layer, but because she's a free range chicken, we don't find them very often until we come across a nest now and again full of two to three dozen eggs at a time.  

On Saturday, Jack and Clark made a goal of catching the chicken, and when Jack succeeded, he was so proud of himself that Danica had to snap a picture for me.  It was adorable.
....And that's the last picture of the post!!  It was a fantastic week of visits with cousins, and it was so fun to get some time with Shiloh and Danica.  I'm so lucky to have such great family.

Comments

Sarah said…
So fun! I'm glad you guys had fun! Birthdays are the BEST! :)