Ouch-My Heart!!

Summer is officially over.  Yes, I know it still looks and feels like summer--see below:

Northern Arizona in August?  Blissful.

Despite the gorgeous weather, however, school has now started and the children are back to the old grind.

Jack got to go first--since he's now in First Grade, I guess it made sense:

And watching just  how grown-up my first-born looks in his brand-new school duds hurt my heart a little.... okay, a lot.

Really though--when did this happen?

Clark followed up with his new Preschool/Speech Therapy program the next week:
And although I've never cried before when sending my kids off to school, putting my four-year-old on the bus for the first time made my eyes sweat a bit.  I blame the pregnancy hormones.  Also, the fact that this child, too, seems to refuse to stay put in his adorable little stage and insists on growing up, darn it.
It also cracked me up that he insisted on doing a "funny" pose in front of the door because he saw that Jack had done one--and this is what he came up with.

Maggie was feeling left out of the loop, because she doesn't get to do school yet, so she decided instead to give herself her own haircut.  It could've been worse:
But her bangs are now much more....interesting than they were after I'd cut them.
She's now gotten used to her brothers taking off (Jack has school the typical 5 days a week, Clark's preschool is 3 days a week), and really enjoys her alone time with me (and, depending on his work schedule, Steve), but if you ask her, she insists that she's "home-schooled."

Steve is now working at the local hospital as a resident--his dream position--where he's being trained in 5-week rotations in every area of the hospital, all while receiving more certifications that will help him to work basically in any place he wants to once his year-long residency is done.  We are both really impressed with this hospital, and it's fun seeing him come home exhausted but totally content every day--helping people actually heal is much more fun than keeping them drugged up and relatively comfortable until they die, apparently.

I'm working on enjoying this pregnancy--this has been the hardest pregnancy yet, and I'm not sure if it's because this is baby #4, or because I'm now officially over 30, but the symptoms this time have been intense, whether they be constant headaches which turn into migraines if I push myself even the slightest bit, morning sickness that lasts all day, or dizziness and light-headedness any time I stand up at all...but I'm grateful for a husband who now has a normal work schedule and who therefore is much more able to help me out.  I'm also grateful for in-town family who has pitched in quite a lot and helped with babysitting and yard work when I can't do it. 

And yes, I'm grateful for a school system that takes two of my kids off my hands for several hours every weekday--for free. :)

So, happy Back-To-School time to all y'all!!!  May your pencils stay freshly sharpened and your crayons all be Crayola!

Comments

Jennifer said…
Love this! Life with baby #4 is going to be way different than you have ever experienced with a new born too...just like your pregnancy! It is all going to be great! A whole new chance to learn something and experience something you've never experienced before! (I know I am sounding overly positive....but I am just in that kind of a mood right now.) ;)

Heard this quote today so I will share it!

" My family is my place of perfecting. I will improve as a person because of my family"
Jewel said…
Jennifer, I just love you and your optimism-I need to keep you in my pocket!!! :)