Twenty-Nine (and a half!) Check-In

Hey--you remember my 30-Before-30 List???

Yeah.  Me, too.  In the name of accountability, and since I'm turning 29 (and a HALF) on October 13th, I figured I'd do one last check-in to see what I've accomplished on my list and to see what I have left to do in these last six months of my twenties.

Phew. Only six months left in my twenties.  That's weird.  Anyways, here goes:

1.  Learn to sew--and make something I would wear.  Did it!
2.  Paint/draw a picture worth framing and displaying in my home.  Just finished this one, as well!
3.  Memorize "Claire de Lune" on the piano.  Yup.
4.  Run a marathon.  Oh, wait, did you not hear about that?  :P
5.  Attend a couples dancing class with Steve.  We did a Jazz Night at the local college, and there was a dance class taught with it.  It's not a real dance class, but it can count until we have more money/time to spend on those kinds of things. :)
6.  Read the entire Triple Combination through again.  Done this one--I love the spirit these scriptures bring into my life when I study them.
7.  See the Grand Canyon.  Yes!
8.  Visit Disneyland--with the kids in tow.  Best vacation I've ever had with kids along.  Hands down.
9.  Pay off all of our debt except for the house--and start working on paying the house down.  Still working on this one.  It's tough with a husband in school, especially since I dropped my piano students, but it's happening!!  We're not paying much extra, but we're paying a liiiiitle bit.
10.  Go camping with all three kids.  Not yet.  And now that it's fall, I'm beginning to think that this one might not happen.  Although I'm tempted to just go in my backyard and spend the night in a tent and count it.  We'll see.
11.  Plant a garden and have it actually be productive.  Mine didn't turn out as well as Jack's did, (maybe because I didn't name and befriend my produce), but I was still happy with what we got from it! 
12.  Learn to bake really good bread.  I've been baking really good bread ever since I got my Aunt Ruth's recipe a few years ago.  Wish I could take credit for it, but I just follow the instructions and it turns out amazing every time.  
13.  Go snorkeling.  Did this one on our honeymoon (Muahahaha--yes, I cheated by putting this on the list).
14.  Plant a lawn (and keep it alive!!)  We've had living lawns before that have lasted for a few seasons.  Unfortunately, this past summer, yard work was the least of our priorities (behind me trying not to go crazy and Steve trying to get used to a new job/help keep me from going crazy), so all of our plant life outside is either dead or completely overgrown.  It's actually quite depressing, but the three fruit trees I planted so hopefully a few years ago are still surviving, so there's some proof that I'm not a complete gardening failure, at least!
15.  Reread The Screwtape Letters and The Chronicles of Narnia.  Done!!
16.  Make a photo book/album for each of my children's births.  This is going to be my Christmas present to them this year.
17.  Memorize one song on the violin (that isn't Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star).  I really want to memorize "The Orange Blossom Special," but I don't know if that's going to happen in time.  We'll see.  I've got a few hymns memorized that could technically count, but I don't feel as though they're big accomplishments or anything.
18.  Perform as the lead in a community play.  Did this one twice!!  Once as Connie Lou in "The Forgotten Carols" and again as Audrey in "Little Shop of Horrors."  Had a blast both times.
19.  Write down Steve's and my love story.  You may remember me doing this one...
20.  Visit at least one state I've never seen before. I visited Idaho a couple of years back.  I'm super exciting that way.
21.  Take my children to the aquarium.  Not yet.  Maybe I'll count the zoo instead, although we haven't been there either.  Sigh.
22.  Read all of Jane Austen's books.  This one was probably one of the easiest accomplishments on my list.
23.  Attend General Conference in person.  Yes!!!!!!!  And it was AMAZING!!!!!
24.  Go waterskiing (or at least, attempt to waterski).  I actually accomplished this one!  I genuinely thought this one wouldn't ever happen, but thanks to in-laws with awesome connections, it did!
25.  Walk barefoot on the beach.  This was another fun experience with the kiddos, you know, when my son nearly DROWNED while I was TAKING A PICTURE.  Sigh.  Vacations just aren't the same when you've got kids.
26.  Be there when my husband graduates from college.  This one is currently in the process--although he technically graduated with his Associate's of Applied Sciences last spring, we're waiting to do the whole cap and gown and walking deal when he graduates with his RN...in 9 MONTHS!!!  I can't believe we're so close--it's felt like an eternity just getting to this point over the past two and a half years.
27.  Eat an apple (or peach) grown on a tree that I've planted myself.  I got to do this one last month!!  I didn't take any pictures or blog about it (so does that mean that it didn't really happen?  Also, if a tree falls in the forest...?), but the peach tree that I helped plant as a teenager at my parents' home actually grew some peaches--for the first time in the 15 years they've lived there.  And I got a bite of one of them.  So...yay!
28.  Read the New Testament through again.  Finished this one as well.  I absolutely love reading about our Savior's earthly ministry.  I feel as though I gain new insights every time I read it.
29.  Find at least two family history names to take through the temple (this one is harder than it sounds).  Still haven't done this one.  I've tried, but every time it turns out to be completely overwhelming and confusing for me to go back to the 1500's on my family tree and try to figure out why so-and-so is sealed to himself no less than 9 times (true story).  Maybe I'll have to cheat and do some of Steve's family's names.
30.  Keep a fish alive for longer than two weeks.  Technically, Steve should be able to take credit, since our bargain when we got said fish was that I would never have to feed them OR clean out their tank, but my bad fish juju hasn't managed to kill Bulky, Thomas, or Abigail yet, so that's something (although I did find a slice of bread floating in the tank yesterday morning.  Apparently Clark thought the fish looked hungry).

Wow--only 5 items left to do, surprisingly enough!

It's actually a really good feeling to look back and see what I've accomplished over the past two years--especially with me being so very UN-motivated the past few months.  

So if you'll excuse me, I now have some goals to catch up on.  Anyone have any tips on how to not be completely overwhelmed by family history? :)

Comments