Primarily Perfection

Today was our ward's Primary Program.  For those of you who don't know what a Primary Program is, it's a church meeting where the children of the ward get up and sing some of the songs they've learned that year, while each sharing a short, usually-memorized little statement about some of the things they've learned.  

Primary programs are usually adorable, often quite spiritual, and always entertaining, and this year was no exception.

I've mentioned before my child's tendencies to get distracted, and when I walked in and saw the picture on the front of the program, I laughed because it was so very typical of my children's ability to focus.  Or lack thereof (maybe something they got from me?).

Observe:


Note how two of the only children in the ENTIRE Primary not actually looking at the camera are mine: Clark (with the orange arrow) is smiling blissfully and enthusiastically off in the wrong direction, and Jack has his thumb in his mouth (and, as is more than likely the case, probably has his other hand down his pants, as well....it's a habit that I'm not happy about).

However, that being said, the program today was absolutely wonderful.  As the Primary music director who is in charge of teaching the children the songs they'll be singing, I have a lot invested in this program, and so therefore was pretty nervous.  But, as is always the case, the Spirit was there, and the program itself was fantastic, despite Clark's inability to sit facing forward (he was luckily covered up for most of his antics by some older children who had been strategically placed to sit directly in front of the Sunbeams) and Jack's mischievous little smile that I noticed whenever he was planning something he knew I wouldn't like.

I was so proud of all of my kiddos--most of the kids in the program had their parts memorized, there were very few "show-off" moments (as is pretty typical for these kinds of things), they sang their songs beautifully and reverently, and at the end, when we had the entire congregation join us in a song about families, I noticed many tearful smiles in the congregation.  

I feel so blessed to have the calling that I have.  The music and the songs we get to sing are so powerful (full of phrases like "I am a child of God" or "have faith, have hope, live like His Son, help others on their way,"), and today was a perfect indication of that.

Comments