What a Chore

A few weeks ago, I realized that my children were not nearly the responsible, well-behaved members of society I wanted them to be (also, my house looked like a train wreck), so I decided to do something about both issues.

I made chore charts.  You can see them on the wall behind my sweet ever-so-lovely children here:
In case you are wondering, their chores are simple and age-appropriate.  Things like "Make your bed," "Pick up your room," "Get dressed," and, for Maggie, "Be happy" and "Sing a song" (two things she's really good at).

The rules were simple, as well--no friends, TV, or outside play until chores are done.  

We do chores every day, folks--but every single morning, it's like this huge surprise for my kids.
"Whaaaaaat?!?!  I have to clean my WHOLE rooooooom?!?!!"  They're shocked.  Flabbergasted. Appalled that I would willingly FORCE my beloved offspring to do something so terrible and horrible as pick up some dirty clothes and put their toys away.

Gasp.

Granted, they have a habit of getting up early and trashing their room before I wake up (along with going through the kitchen and coming up with delicacies like the one you see before you--Jack came up with the idea of two raisin-cinnamon bagels with a slice of bologna in the middle.  Yum), so their chores are much harder than they would be should my children decide to keep their room somewhat decent.  

Not only that, but when I do send them to their room while I try to accomplish something (usually my own chores), guaranteed that when I enter the room to check on them, one or both of them will be doing something like this:



Playing.  Getting distracted.  Beating on each other is yet another favorite activity of theirs.

Most days, doing the chores consists of me getting after them while doing my own chores (usually kitchen/laundry/bathrooms), after which I go in and sit in their room and say things like "Pick up that shirt.  Now put it away.  Okay, pick up that car.  Now put it away." while my children moan and cry and basically give a great impression of what torture victims would probably sound like.

It's great.  Exactly how I love to spend every week day (weekends are "free days").

I've read the blogs out there about parents who minimize their children's toys--they have one or two little boxes of toys that they play with and the rest they donate to thrift stores/yard sales/throw away.

That idea is sounding better and better every day....Problem is I feel like minimizing my kids' toys is nearly a full-time job in itself.  I've donated to thrift stores, had a yard sale a few weeks ago, and thrown away enough broken toys to keep an Ethiopian orphanage happy for weeks, and STILL...my kids each have three BIG boxes of toys in their rooms and our garage has shelves full of boxes of toys that my kids aren't allowed to have in their rooms until they show me they can keep their room clean for a week straight.

It hasn't happened yet.

For the record: Maggie is VERY good at her chores.

It's nice having a naturally organized and obedient child.  Just wish my two-year-old wasn't the only one I could count on to actually help me clean sometimes.

How about you?  Are chores a full-on battle in your house?

Comments

Yes! Yes! Either my oldest will clean up her entire room herself at night (procrastination method to avoid sleeping) or I have to tell her step by step what to do. She knows how to clean her room, but each painful step is like asking her to go to the moon and back! I actually did box up all but two boxes of toys and that has changed my life! Then I only give toys back if they ask for one specifically. Missy of their toys are just for making a mess and not playing. My favorite game is when I sweep all the toys up that I've repeated asked them to put away, get the trash can, and start throwing the toys in. Amazingly, they can clean toys up at lightning speed when I do that! But seriously, with three kids it's pretty darn hard to keep a spotless house!
Jewel said…
Right?!? At this point I'm not even aiming for "spotless"-just "livable" would be nice!
the princess said…
my kids are OLD (not old, but older) and still whine about chores. "you mean when my zone is bathrooms (we change zones every two weeks - let me know if you want details *lol*) that i have to wipe down the counter and toilet every single day? and if i use the same wipe, do the counter first? really?" and they are 16, 14, 13, and almost 12 ... sad ...

~ jannet (mjmcvey@hotmail.com)
Jewel said…
Oh, Jannet--you're making me lose hope here. And I was hoping it would eventually get easier. :)

Sigh. I guess that's part of parenting, huh? Listing to our ungrateful little offspring whine about the few responsibilities we give them?
the princess said…
yup ... the entitled little goofballs think they shouldn't do chores. eventually, they do them ... i make them earn $$ rather than give it to them and that is pretty good motivation for them. :) as i got smarter, i printed out lists for each room ("the kitchen is clean when ..." "the kitchen is deep cleaned when ..." and "monthly to-dos ..." and laminated them. there is a copy in each specific room AND each person in the house has their own set of cleaning lists ... they have NO excuse!! *ROFL*

and don't lose hope!! wait until they are embarrassed to have their friends see their bedrooms - that is excellent motivation, too!