Wrapped Around Her Little Finger

Since I've previously written posts focusing on Jack and Clark, I found it only fitting to do one about my little Maggie Maye now.

So, how to describe Maggie Maye?  First word that comes to my mind is "girly."  This little girl loves anything pink, princess-y, or bedazzled.... which has been a total culture shock to me after raising two boys.

To be honest, it kind of surprised me at first--although I enjoyed the occasional Barbie/dress-up session as a kid, I wasn't quite this girly, and it cracks me up that the first time I handed her a hair tie, before she was even a year old, she put it around her wrist like a bracelet, held it up to me, and said, "Oooh!"

She has a very distinct sense of fashion, and any time we're getting her dressed and pick out an outfit she doesn't approve of, she'll lay her head on her arms and cry dramatically for a good 15 minutes.

Usually I just try to skip this whole issue by letting her pick out her own outfits, but when we have to go in public and she wants to wear her neon multi-colored skirt along with a striped T-shirt of many colors...none of which remotely go together, I have to put my foot down.  After all, my kids look homeless often enough.

She also gets offended when I won't let her wear my high heels in public.  I mainly hesitate to do so because of the safety hazard it would be to allow it.

She LOVES to get her fingernails and toenails painted, sits still for me to try to do what little hair she has, and has her daddy wrapped around her dainty little fingers.  In fact, Steve's first experience ever painting someone's toenails was with Maggie Maye.  I should have taken pictures, but be assured--the effect was adorable.  You know, in a "This-was-my-first-time-ever-painting-nails-and-I-got-fingernail-polish-EVERYWHERE" kind of way.
But Maggie still loved it.  For days, when I'd go to get her out of her crib in the morning, she would be standing there, holding her fingernails out for me to see, saying, "Cute!  Cute!"
Although Maggie is so dainty and sweet, she has two older brothers, which definitely gives her a tough side.  When this girl wants to, she can give glares that rival those of any angsty teenager I've ever seen....but her smiles will melt you all over again.
The other day, I took her to Payless to go pick out some back-to-school tennis shoes for her brothers.  As Steve and I tried to find reasonably-priced shoes that fit the boys, my mom followed Maggie around and let her pick out shoes to try on.  If there was a shoe that was sparkly, pink, or covered in flowers, those were the ones she picked out.  And then, when we went past the displays of purses near the checkout lines, she again picked up three purses (all of which were bedazzled and shockingly pink) and held them over her shoulders.
She has several purses that she got for Christmas and birthdays last year, and she loves to carry them around with her.  The other day, I picked up one of her purses and decided to check and see what was inside.  She had two bracelets, a kleenex, an extra pacifier, a little mirror, a brush, a few feathers from a feather boa, and a pair of panties we bought her a while ago when she was showing interest in going potty.

Not too different from some grown women's purses, actually...
Oh, this girl.

Comments

Jennifer said…
She is adorable!

All of your kids have great personalities and the BEST smiles! They are pretty darn good looking too...and I'm not just saying that because they're related to me!;)

One day when we live near each other again, I will make sure your kids know who I am and who to go to for being spoiled!!!