Fatherhood

I know this post is both cliche and late--Father's Day was nearly a week ago, but I had to share my two cents about the fathers in my life this Father's Day.
Of all roles in the media, I feel that fatherhood is the most mocked and the least appreciated.  While nearly every other ethnic, social, and gender group has to be treated with respect and deference, fathers are nearly always disregarded or shown as the stereotypes created by a culture who seems to have forgotten their importance.  From the bumbling idiots portrayed on the Disney channel and in nearly every commercial possible to the distant, clueless cardboard cutouts shown in most movies that even have a father character in them, our society has lowered the standards and description of what fatherhood truly is to at best, "mom's assistant," and at worst, someone who's not even in the picture.
Fatherhood is so much more than a paycheck and a pat on the back after a sports game.
 Fatherhood is exemplified by my father-in-law, a man who reached out to me with gentleness, tenderness, love, and complete acceptance as I became his first daughter.  This man willingly sits on the ground to play with my children and gives everything he has to the people around him.  His sacrifices are often unseen, but he makes them anyway, because that's just what dads do.
 Fatherhood is exemplified by my own dad, a man who, despite his imperfections, has always been my hero.  This man's strength and faith have been a rock that I could rely on, and whether it was catching me as I would stumble across the finish line at a cross-country meet, or whistling loudly during my concerts, I always knew he loved me and that he was proud of me.
Fatherhood is exemplified by my husband, a man I love more than any other human on this earth, a man who works and sacrifices to keep our family provided for.  This man is involved in and aware of each of his children's lives--any time he comes home from work or school, the first thing he always makes sure to do is to greet each of his children individually, ask them how their day has been, and then to come to me with a kiss and a greeting.  He has inspired me with the courage he has shown as he has followed his dreams to become a nurse, and he did so in a way that caused our family to suffer the least amount possible, as he still continued to provide most of our income while attending school full-time.
Fatherhood is so much more than just being half of the genes provided to create children--it is messy, laughing, love, tickling, wrestling, working, playing, listening, talking, joking, caring, sacrificing, noticing, helping, stretching, growing, learning.
"It is significant that of all the titles of respect and honor and admiration that are given to Deity, he has asked us to address him as Father.” ~The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
Happy Father's Day.

Comments

Jennifer said…
love this!:) hooray for dads. they don't have to be perfect...they just gotta love us!