As Sisters in Zion

Time for Round Two of Jewel's Spring Break Extravaganza--I know you've all been waiting with baited breath.
In related news, this is also where I will share a few of my thoughts regarding the Ordain Women's Movement.  Honestly, I've been steering clear of this particular topic because I really hate contention and anger, and this one seems to be stirring up a lot of those feelings, but I had a friend ask me to share my opinion/feelings on it.  So, here goes.  *deep breath*
First off, this trip was amazing. I had the wonderful opportunity to drive up with my dear friend Alicia, which meant that not only did the trip go by ridiculously fast with the fun/deep/insightful/emotional/spiritual conversations we were able to have with each other, but she also brought a fantastic essential oil blend that works wonderfully to help relieve car sickness, which made it so I didn't have to spend the entire trip either throwing up or feeling like I wanted to.  
She's the greatest.
I also got to stay with my dear friend/ex-roommate Heather (yes, this is the "Heather" from the love story I wrote), and to say that it was a weekend spent chock-full of sparkling conversation, hilarious wit, good food, and me experiencing footloose, fancy-free city life would not be much of an exaggeration on my part, actually.  Our other roommate, Jen (also featured in my story...I feel as though I've been living in nostalgia land for the past few weeks, actually) came and stayed the night on Friday night, and it was a blast to laugh and cry and be reminded of just why I loved my third year at EA so much.
The highlight of the trip, however, was Saturday evening.
The Church hosted their first semi-annual General Women's Meeting in the conference center at Temple Square, and because Alicia's cousin has a bishop who is just awesome, we got some great seats. 
 We walked in (the pictures don't even begin to do this place justice.  It is MASSIVE) and started walking towards the front.  I started wondering where exactly our section was, and even had the thought that I might need to ask an usher for help,because there was no way we were supposed to be walking this close, right?
 We kept walking down...and down....and down.  When we finally found our section--right in the front, it was still mostly empty--the usher told us to pick wherever we wanted to sit.  So we did.
 From the left, me, Alicia's sister Julieann, Heather, and Alicia (Tia, Alicia's cousin, was the one who took the picture)

Second row seats, my friend.  It was incredible.
As the meeting went on, I pretty much just cried through the whole thing, which was something that was both unexpected for me and something that I was completely unprepared for--in fact, I didn't bring a single tissue and ended up just wiping the tears off of my neck as they streamed down.
Classy, I know.
The spirit of all of these wonderful, powerful, GOOD women just struck me, and the messages--of love, of unity, of kindness and charity--hit me right where I needed them most.
To be honest, I've done a lot of research on the Ordain Women Movement.  I have a lot of theories, and I have read a lot of well-written and well-researched blogs, and as I've read arguments both for and against women being ordained to the priesthood, something that I have noticed about this whole issue: there is a lot of contention out there surrounding it. Which is something I really really hate and try to avoid as much as possible.  And a majority of the blogs (not all by any means) made me feel nervous and doubtful and put a pit in my stomach that I'm learning is my gut instinct telling me to get away from something that isn't going to be good for me.
So here's my opinion on it: I don't think it really matters whether women get the priesthood or not.  In fact, my testimony of my worth and power in my Heavenly Father's eyes has absolutely nothing to do with what calling I have and EVERYTHING to do with how close to Him I feel.  So whether or not there is a huge doctrinal announcement in the future changing everything about how this church has been run for the past however long, I want to focus on my relationship with Heavenly Father and what I can do to strengthen that relationship here and now with the power I feel as His daughter, as well as the power in my own little sphere of influence.
I'm not trying to give any answers for anyone else.  This is not meant to speak for anyone except me.  But something to keep in mind: I believe that Satan has no chance to destroy this church, but he is doing everything within his power to divide it.  When I sat in that huge room, surrounded by literally tens of thousands of other women who are trying to do their best to follow God in their own way, the message that stood out to me again and again was one of unity.
To paraphrase what one of the leaders said: "The things that are common among you are more than the things that make you different from one another."
I love my sisters.  I want to stand together with them....whatever their own personal path says for them.

Comments

Barretts said…
Amen sister! :)

Love your thoughts and insights as always.
Barretts said…
that comment is from me, your favorite Aunt Jennifer! I am accidentally still signed in under my dad's blog. ;)