This I Believe

A few weeks ago, my amazing brother Jayze told me about a project done in the 1950's by various people, celebrities, and famous leaders where each person would write a short essay--about a page or so--about what they believed, and then have it read on national radio.  It was entitled "This I Believe."
For some reason, these essays touched me, and especially over the past couple of days, I have felt an increasing urge to share what I call my "testimony" out here on my blog--to write down, in as clear a way as possible, what I believe.  I'm not sure why I'm feeling the need to write these words so strongly, but I only hope that I can share it in a way that won't come across as self-righteous or simplistic.  I'm only sharing what I believe to be true, and I hope that perhaps in my doing so I can touch someone else.
This I believe: that people are inherently good and kind.  I believe that we humans are born with goodness and light inside of us--anyone who has ever held a newborn infant and marveled at the power and spirit attendant in that tiny body will know the light and potential I am talking about.  That light, what I have heard referred to as "the Light of Christ," is real, and I have seen it in many individuals that I have had the privilege to come in contact with.
I believe that only as we are exposed to darkness is that light shut out, and evil, which I also believe to be real, begins to take root.  I believe that as humans are exposed and give in to temptation, that light can dim to the point of being nearly unrecognizable, which is the reason for much of the fear and despair that is currently present in our world today.  I believe that evil is real and powerful--I have also seen its effects and been exposed to it personally on many occasions throughout my life.  However, I also believe that every human being, no matter how dark or how lowly they may seem, can be brought again to be a vessel of that light, and that there is hope for everyone, so long as they choose to once again strive for the light.
I believe that the reason that we human beings are inherently good is because we are children of God--quite literally, His sons and daughters.  I believe that divine potential lies inside each of us, and as we strive to become clearer vessels of light through doing good, we come closer unto Him and His Son, Jesus Christ.
I believe that because God is our Heavenly Father, He loves us--all of us.  He has given us a plan to help us become as He is. He gives us commandments--guidelines as how best to be truly happy and successful on our journey back to Him--but he also gives us the freedom to choose whether or not we will follow these guidelines.
I believe that when I am doing my absolute best to be obedient to these commandments, I am at my happiest, and when I disregard, ignore, or disobey these commandments, I have to live with the consequences of such actions, which usually include unhappiness, selfishness, and discouragement.  I also believe that because Heavenly Father knows me to be imperfect and frail, He has also given me another incredible gift--the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  Because of that gift, I believe that I can overcome my imperfections and frailties (which are many and varied, I assure you), and one day be worthy to stand in God's presence.
I believe that because God loves us, He has given His children His gospel--the Gospel of Jesus Christ--and that it has been restored to the earth in our day through the prophet Joseph Smith.  I believe that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is lead by prophets and apostles who are the Lord's mouthpiece today, and I believe these men hold the power of God and receive revelation from Him.
I believe that the Church should not necessarily be judged by the actions or statements of the imperfect individuals who call themselves its members, but by the doctrines and truths it teaches.  I believe that the Church itself, not the people in it, is perfect and guided by God through the men and women He has called to lead it.
I believe that I, personally, am a daughter of God with a divine inheritance, calling, and mission.  I believe that I have power and authority in my callings, in my home, and in my family as a wife, daughter, sister, and mother in Zion.  I believe that I have worth and potential equal to that of any other worthy member of this church.  I believe that my Heavenly Father loves me and has helped me in times past, that He continues to help me through my trials and experiences, and that He will continue to help me through whatever is to come in my life.
These beliefs are my anchor--what I know to be true, steadfast, and sure in a world of changing opinions, values, and morals.  These beliefs are what give me strength through difficulties and increase my joy through the good times.
This I believe.

Comments

Heather said…
Beautifully written, Jewel. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Jenn said…
I love everything about this. It beautifully echos what I believe, and made my heart feel good inside/led me to sit and ponder late last night after I read this, so thank you.