How NOT To Run 20 Miles

So, just so you all know, I ran my 20-mile training run yesterday, which is the longest run I have to do before the marathon.
Now that I've had an entire day to recover from my run, I've figured out a few tips for those of you who ever want to attempt running 20 miles.  My biggest tip--just don't.  I don't think the human body was designed to run that far.  I'm only half joking here...There's a reason the very first marathon runner died after his race.  I figured that out yesterday.

I took this picture after a shorter run a week ago...I am not a glamorous runner.  But I can promise you that I looked about five times worse after my run yesterday...No smiles there.
But, for those of you who do want to be absolutely crazy and try for a marathon, a few tips for the longest training run you'll do:
1.  Don't stay up late the night beforehand googling "marathon running tips and techniques."  Most of the things you read will make you second-guess everything you are currently doing to train, and you will end up having major anxiety all night long that will cause you to have nightmares of passing out, bleeding blisters, and having to be carried away on a stretcher.  That is, you'll have nightmares of those things once you actually fall asleep, which probably won't happen until about 15 minutes before you're scheduled to wake up.
2.  If you're going to stash water/Powerade bottles along your route, try to pick areas where your bottle won't be too noticeable.  Look for less well-maintained areas with trash already on them.  I felt incredibly chagrined to round the corner after my first 4-mile lap yesterday just in time to see my sweet neighbor daintily picking my stash of Powerade and energy chews off of the curb next to her perfectly-manicured lawn and dropping them in the dumpster.  I didn't say anything (just what do you say in that situation?), but I did end up having to run an extra two-thirds of a mile back to my house to grab more Powerade and stash it somewhere a little less noticeable.
Also, side note, be SURE to either throw your bottle away after your run, or bring it home with you.  I hate litter.
3.  Don't plan on ending your run a full mile away from home so you're forced to have a "cool-down."  I hit the 20-mile mark about a mile away from my house (I live on one of the tallest hills in my town, by the way--no way to get home that isn't uphill for at least 3/4 mile straight), and to say that the very act of walking home was something that nearly killed me is only a slight exaggeration...it probably took me a good 25 minutes (or longer) to walk that last mile with all the rests I had to take.
4.  Don't try to start your run at your fastest time, even if you feel good.  Save that energy for later.  You'll need it. And DON'T stress about your time towards the end.  Even if you feel like a snail.
5.  Don't pick one of the hilliest routes you've ever run to do your longest run possible, especially when the actual marathon you've chosen is 90% downhill.
6.  Plan on being completely useless, exhausted, and sore for the rest of the day after your run.  My mom was here watching my children while I ran (Steve had to go to work), and when she saw the shape I was in as I came through the door, shaking and sweaty, she decided to stay and watch the kids so I could shower and nap.  I'm so grateful--I doubt I would have had the energy to take care of my kids for the rest of the day on my own, even with the help of my ever-present electronic sitter.
7.  As you're exhausted and hitting mile 17, the thought "I still have to do 8 miles more than this for my actual race" DOES NOT help.
8.  Wear nylons (knee-highs rolled down like socks or footie nylons) underneath your socks.  I have yet to get a blister from a run....and I didn't have to pay $20 a pair for those fancy sweat-wicking socks.
9.  When you stop at a gas station because you absolutely have to use the bathroom right now (those of you who have ever run before know the feeling I'm talking about), and the girl's bathroom is occupied, so you think, "Well, it's early and the gas station's completely empty--I'll just use the guy's bathroom," and so you go in...MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that the door is locked.  Not that this has actually happened to me--totally hypothetical here, but the look on a 55-year-old guy's face as he sees a sweaty 20-something-year-old woman crouching over the toilet while releasing unearthly sounds and smells is not something anyone ever wants to see.  Trust me  (Again, we're speaking hypothetically, here).
10.  Keep reminding yourself that it's worth it.  I think.  Honestly, I'm still sore and tired enough today that I'm not sure that this wasn't the stupidest idea I've ever had, but I keep reminding myself that the actual race is all downhill and hopefully that will be easier.  I sure hope so, anyways....I was feeling confident about the race UNTIL yesterday's run.  Now, I'm not so sure.

Comments

Else said…
Love the bathroom scenario! I don't have any desire to run a marathon but I have run a half marathon and enjoyed it enough that is like to try another one! So you're tips are still helpful!! :) you can do it!!
Heather said…
I've said it before and I'll say it again: you are a rockstar! I also loved the bathroom story. Hilarious.