There are no words

Sometimes, you have a moment in your life that just absolutely sucker-punches you in the gut, leaving you in pain, gasping for breath, wondering how just a moment before you were perfectly fine, worrying about silly little things like what you're going to eat for dinner or how much laundry you have left to do.
Sometimes, you have a moment that absolutely, irrevocably changes you.
Yesterday, my mom called to let me know that my younger brother, Jayze:

and his beautiful, sweet wife, Sarah:
 lost their baby.
She was 37 1/2 weeks along and went in for a routine doctor's appointment yesterday morning, only to realize that they couldn't find a heartbeat.
She called Jayze, who was at work.  Once he got there, they went in for an ultrasound, and together, in the ultrasound room, they learned that their beautiful, perfect little boy had passed away, sometime within the last 24 hours.
He measured at 5 lbs 7 oz, and, after telling her the terrible news, they let her know that if she didn't go into labor naturally within the next two days, they would be inducing her early Thursday morning.
His name is Alma Jayze Flake.
Both sets of parents left early this morning to join them in Idaho.  As soon as we find out more details about when and where the graveside service will be held, I will be driving up with my children, siblings, and, hopefully (depending on school), my husband, to come show our support.
I wish I could possibly describe my feelings over the past twenty-four hours, but there truly are no words to describe how it feels to hear my younger brother break down and sob over the phone--no words to describe the absolute helplessness when I am two states away, too far to do anything to truly help--no words to describe how it feels to know that my children's cousin, my nephew, has been taken so suddenly and unexpectedly, when we were so excited and eager to meet him--no words to describe the feeling of going last night with my parents to pick up a casket that looks exactly like a tiny little bassinet--no words to describe how it feels to know that there are literally hundreds of people praying for our family right now.


No words.

Comments

Heather said…
I am so sorry, Jewel. While the circumstances are different of course, I feel like I might have a taste of what you are possibly feeling when I relate it to the loss of my nephew, Alan. It sucks and is painful, especially watching your family members, the parents, in such pain. I think it's something only time and the Lord can heal. As for what Jayze and Sarah are feeling I can't adequately imagine. I wish you all peace at this time.

I don't know where in Idaho you are going and how far from Utah it is, but if on your way you need or want to stop for a night in the Provo/Salt Lake area, you are welcome to stay at our house.
Jewel said…
Heather, your experience with Alan has been on my mind quite a lot over the past two days, actually. Thank you so much for your commission and empathy-it truly is healing and helpful.
And as for coming over on our way to Idaho, I will most definitely consider taking you up on that incredibly generous offer, if/when we head up there.
Sure love you, my friend.
I am so sorry to you and your sweet family. I can't imagine going through something like that. Of course our prayers are with you and your entire family - and especially your brother and sister-in-law.
Please let us know if there is anything - at all - that we can do for you guys.
Sending love!!
Amanda said…
So sorry for your loss Jewel. My husband's brother and wife had this same thing happen to them, they were visiting my FIL in Seattle when it happened, it was sad mess...2 days after the graveside service, Brian and I found out that we were expecting Kortnie.....we ended up keeping her to ourselves for a long time, then 2 days after she was born, this same SIL lost a 2nd baby. It is hard on everyone, I feel badly for all of you. I'm sending love and prayers of comfort and acceptance to your whole family.
Jennifer said…
i agree. there are no words. not anything we can say to jayze or sarah that will help. the sadness is hard to see. i am so greatful for the Atonement and for the words of our Savior, "Thy will be done."
bepluvstrack said…
I second the offer for providing a place to stay or even a meal on your way up. We're in Lehi, very close to the freeway.

Tell Jayze and Sarah we love them and hope they can feel the spirit's comfort!
Jenn said…
I have been putting off commenting, because as a pregnant lady, this just breaks my heart. SO much. I am so terribly sorry to hear about their loss, and my love and prayers go out to you all.