Bad Attitude, Jewel

Just to warn y'all (you know, the three of you who still read this blog), I'm about to have a SERIOUS pity party for myself, so bust out the rocky-road ice cream and come join me.
I am absolutely dreading next week--dreading it to the point of anxiety that keeps me up at night and gnaws uncomfortable feelings in my stomach.  Why, you ask?
Next week, Real Life starts.
By Real Life, of course, I mean that next week, my husband starts his crazy work/nursing school/play rehearsal schedule--one that means that he will literally leave at 8:00 in the morning (except when he has to be at clinicals by 5:30) and not be home until after 10:00 at night for several days of the week....which is when he will need to study, of course.
Next week is also when I begin teaching piano lessons.  I have 20 students this year, which is at least 6 more students than I have ever attempted to teach at one time in my life, and because all of my students are also students in our local school system, the only time I am able to teach them is from 2:30 till 6:30 Mondays through Thursdays--aka, "The Witching Hours" for anyone who has young children (please, please tell me that I'm not the only person whose children turn into absolute monsters at or around these times.  If your children are well-behaved and kind and sweet during this time, I just don't want to hear it.  I'm looking for sympathy here, people!).
Next week is also when I am scheduled to run EIGHTEEN miles for my long run--after which, I get a break where I only have to run 14 miles, which is no biggie (ahem, ahem--yeah, right).  Week after? 22 miles.  Twenty-two freakin' miles.  That I'm running.  You know, with my feet and legs and stuff.  These numbers don't even count my shorter weekday runs, which I will have to get in before Steve leaves in the morning.
I'm not even going to mention (okay, I guess I am, but not in detail) my calling, Jack's Joy School arrangements, nor the day-to-day stresses that come with mothering three very young, very active children and trying to keep up with the house/yard/garden....
Argh.  
I know, I know, I know that all of this stuff is self-imposed stress, it's all worth it, it's no big deal, the blessings are great and outnumber the stresses I have to face, yadda, yadda, yadda, but I'm having a bad attitude, so I might as well enjoy my Bad Attitude Moment thoroughly.
Meanwhile, enjoy some randomness from a fun night we had at NanaDee's recently:



 And I threw this one in because it's just so sweet:
Okay.  I just finished the last of my ice cream, so I guess the pity party's over.
Life really is good.
Steve is going to be gone a lot, but because my husband is working so hard and involved in the play that will be taking up so much of his time (and because of the extra income I'm bringing in with so many piano lessons), we have not only been able to get him through school thus far without incurring further debt, but we also JUST paid off our second car last week, so, except for the house, we are debt-free! *knocks on wood*
The hours of Steve being gone and the stress of teaching piano lessons pales in comparison to that incredible freedom--we own both our vehicles outright and have no further burden of consumer OR student OR medical debt at the moment--TOTALLY worth it.
I am getting right into the hardest part of training, which is stressful, hard, and exhausting at times, but I AM TRAINING FOR A MARATHON.  This is something I have wanted to do for at least the past 15 years, and despite the excuses and many valid reasons I have for not doing it, I AM DOING IT ANYWAYS.  I have a healthy body, I have never felt so strong and accomplished, and I am going to check off the single biggest item on my 30-before 30 list within the next 7 weeks!  SOSOSOSO worth it.
Our kids our healthy and strong, and even though they're not always well-behaved, they are good-hearted, happy children, and I'm lucky to be a mom.  Worth it.
Okay.  I guess I can face what's about to come now that I've had my venting moment.
Thanks for letting me cry on your virtual shoulder--you're such a good listener!

Comments

Malori said…
I think it is perfectly fine to vent. You are working hard and you have a lot of stresses right now. I can't imagine having my hubby doing a hard school program with 3 small kids at home (law school was so hard on me...and it was just me!!) and I can't imagine trying to do piano lessons while watching your own babies! And, I continue to be impressed with your marathon training - so keep it up girl!!!
You are both working toward amazing goals, you have already accomplished a lot and all of these things are so worth the work you are doing for them (imagine what it will feel like once you have finished your marathon and Steve is a nurse!) - but just because there are great blessings in store for you doesn't meant that you can't spend some time feeling anxiety and stress and needing to let off some of that steam!
I have a small example (ok, this is getting really long...sorry): when I was pregnant, you know that I was so, SO happy about it since we had been trying for so long. I tried not to complain about the aches and pains and sickness and other unpleasant things that come with pregnancy because I was just so grateful for the experience! But there were a few times when, in the privacy of our bedroom, I cried to Jon about how hard it was. I don't like throwing up and not being able to sleep because there isn't a comfortable position for my extra swollen body. I knew in my head that this was something I had been waiting for and dreaming of - but that doesn't mean that it didn't get hard.
We all have to vent a little, and I am always on the other end of the phone if you need to chat!
Loves!
P.S. Sorry for the super long post!!!!
Jenn said…
All I can say is hang in there woman! You are doing amazingly. Is it super hard having a husband who has the demands of a rigorous school schedule? You bet it is! If you didn't feel apprehensive about it, you wouldn't be normal. In my experience, some weeks aren't so bad and you feel like you can totally manage, and other weeks being the supportive wife when the trump card of "I have to study/be somewhere/research/work on a project for school" is played when you are completely desperate for a break feels like more than you can bear. But like anything, you grit your teeth, try to count your blessings, do what has to be done, cry in the bathroom, and resolve to do the best you can. And of course, since we are women, one day can feel hopeless and the next can feel so blessed you can hardly stand it. You'll get through it though, and you'll be stronger and smarter and happier for it in the end. :) I have no advice about running a marathon (because I'm not a crazy person). I have to say that I am SO incredibly impressed by your dedication, hard work, and fitness level. It's seriously impressive. You are a rockstar! Hang in there woman, I love you!!
Cristin said…
Yeah, whenever I complain, Erik tells me that 90% of the stuff I am stressed about is self-imposed. But no one wants to hear that!! I can't believe you are taking on that many piano students. I'm afraid to even teach ONE because I know my kids will go bonkers while I'm trying to do a lesson. You are one brave woman.
Jennifer said…
You better go stock up on that ice cream cuz if you are like me...you're gonna need it! It's easier to self medicate with ice cream than to try to find time to fit in professional counseling. Cheaper too.

;) I am only being slightly sarcastic. :)


Yes! I almost know how you feel minus the piano lessons and marathon running and the three kids. Okay, so the only thing we really have in common is the husband being gone all day. Hard eh? We should bond over it.