Parent of the Year Award

This post is about what magnificent parents Steve and I are--and it has photographic proof.  Aren't you excited?
Incidentally, it's also about how I accomplished #25 on my 30-before-30 list and walked barefoot on the beach.
The day after we went to California Adventure (you know, the place where Jack peed on a lamp post?  That place), we decided to go to the beach.  Being beach rookies, we decided to wait till later in the afternoon to visit--not knowing that late afternoon is precisely when the wind picks up and things get chilly.
Still, though, the kids had fun.
 I bought some $1 water pumps, and the boys had a blast squirting each other, sword fighting, and using them to write in the sand.

Clark didn't love the water quite so much (after getting knocked over by the waves several times, he opted to sit on the sand), but Jack absolutely had a blast jumping in and out of the waves.
 Maggie got her feet in, but mainly preferred just to crawl around and eat dirt.  It's okay with me--she was happy.
 Steve took the opportunity to show Jack how to float--

 And I mostly stayed on the sand and tried to keep my kids from drowning or wandering off...after documenting enough of our experience to have proof that we actually went.
(again, stupid Windows 8 won't let me turn the picture.  Anyone who's a computer geek and would be willing to give me an online or over-the-phone tutorial?  Anyone?)
Now, here enters the "parent-of-the-year" part.
After hanging out at the beach for about an hour, the kids were freezing--all three of them were still cheerful, but since they all had blue lips and were shaking uncontrollably, we decided to bundle them up, put them back in the car, and head back to the hotel, which had a heated pool and a Jacuzzi for some warmer swimming time.
Since none of our kids know how to swim yet, Steve was enjoying teaching Jack how to kick and move his arms.  I decided, once again, to document our fun trip, and so I took the above picture of Jack kicking at the steps of the pool.
After that one turned out, I told Steve to hold Clark and smile for the camera--I was holding Maggie, and assumed Jack was still on the steps, so I was focused on taking the picture, when through the viewfinder, I saw this:
 
In case you can't tell, that is my four-year-old, the one who doesn't know how to swim yet, totally drowning in the background, while I'm taking a picture less than three feet away.
Like I said, photographic proof.
Just so you know, however, as soon as I dropped the camera and shrieked, "Jack!!!", Steve turned around and pulled him up.
After coughing a little, Jack smiled brightly and chirped, "Mom!  I was breathing underwater!"
Sure, kid.  That's what you were doing.
Moral of this story?
Watch your kids around water.  Lesson learned.


Comments

The Petersons said…
I have to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog Jewel. I literally have tears running down my cheeks and I have been laughing like a lunatic for at least 3 minutes now! I LOVE how well you write your parenting adventures. When your blog gets all big and popular, I will be proud to say that I knew you before you got famous... =)
Jennifer said…
THAT is the picture I was talking about! You have to print out an 8X10 of that and frame it in your house!
Can't wait to hear about your Havasupi trip!!! :)
Heather said…
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! So funny, man. I was laughing out loud at this and Josh heard me and asked me what I was laughing at, and I realized I sounded like a terrible person when I described that there was a picture of your kid drowning...and I'm laughing.
Jenn said…
This post made me miss the beach so much!! And that picture is priceless. Sure as a parent, I am sure you feel a little guilt and slightly horrified, but since he really was perfectly fine (I think that every time a parent goes swimming with multiple children who can't swim, there is almost always at least one "pull them up, pat their back, remind them to stay in the shallows/on the steps for the 14th time kind of moment) its a perfectly timed photo. Pretty funny!