When We're Healthy, We're Happy

So, Friday afternoon, I dropped my kids off at my parent's house and decided to get in my 6-mile run (I'm staying at the 6-mile level until starting my actual marathon training schedule in two weeks)...I headed out, but there were some pretty scary-looking dark clouds coming in.  I didn't mind the fierce wind, nor the rain (I think it's kind of fun to run in the rain, actually), but my mom made me take my phone as I left, so that she could call me if the lightning got too bad.
She did...after just over one mile.  Feeling guilty that I would be leaving behind three kids for other people to take care of if I got struck by lightning, I turned around and headed home.
Disappointed that I only got in two miles where I needed six, I still tried to be in a happy mood, and when my parents invited us to eat with them (Steve had a concert and wouldn't be home till around 10 that night), I figured it was at least better than eating mac 'n' cheese with the kids in front of the TV.
So, we had hot dogs and potato chips (and yes, I ate FAR more than was good for me.  Amazing how many chips you can eat when you're not paying attention), laughed and had a good time, and then I came home, put the kids to bed, showered, and went to bed, feeling disgusting and sick. 
Eating junk food when you've been away for it for a while is never a good feeling.
However, Saturday, I resolved to do better.  We had a healthy, whole-grain-and-fruit-filled breakfast, I ate a nice lunch, and then I asked my sister to come watch the kids so I could try again on my long-distance run, which I totally NAILED. 
Felt so good.
Dinner that night was much healthier--vegetables were actually involved (not in their deep-fried state, either), and then I stretched and went to bed, after hanging out with Steve once he got home from yet another performance.
The nice thing about training for a marathon is that I can pretty much eat anything I want without noticing a huge difference in how I look, but boy-oh-boy, am I finding that it makes a HUGE difference in how I feel.  Don't get me wrong--I probably eat at least one or two sweets a day, but I've tried to stay away from fried foods and fast food, and when I do fall off the wagon with those things occasionally, I definitely notice.
We've made a goal to be healthier this past month and a half--more veggies and fruits, fewer pre-prepared meals, more whole grains--and it has been wonderful!!  We've also added exercise to our previously-slothlike existence as a family, and it's definitely making a difference.  Steve has already lost 23 lbs, which he's totally stoked about, and I'm feeling stronger and healthier.  I haven't lost weight in the least (in fact, I've gained a couple of pounds), but I'm noticing that my clothes fit better, and where I had a hard time zipping up a couple of my favorite dresses before, they're pretty easy to put on now.
I am getting so excited about this marathon.  My brother called a few weeks ago and asked if he could run the marathon with me, which makes it that much more fun!  He's actually run a marathon before (back when he was in high school) and I know that he's a much faster runner than I am, which means we'll probably end up starting the race together and then he'll wait a couple of hours for me at the end of the race--but I'm still excited to have someone to call when I hit my major running milestones.
My parents, siblings, and a few other extended family members are also hiking Havasupai Canyon in June, and it's been fun to see Steve go from being panicked about the idea to actually being excited for this trip.  I love having these healthy habits, and I hope we never go back to the lazy people we were before!!

Comments