Opportunities for Patience

About a week ago, I realized that I had gotten in the habit of yelling at the kids too much.  I never said hurtful things or cussed (although that is still always a temptation), but when they would be disobedient, make messes, or get to be "too much," I found myself losing my temper far too easily, raising my voice far too much, and being much too quick to spank....something I told myself I would never do to my children.
So, I set a goal to yell less, not to spank at all (unless as a predetermined consequence, but never in anger), and began praying for help to be more patient with my boys.
You know how Heavenly Father answers prayers for patience?
By giving you more opportunities to be patient.
On Monday afternoon, I was teaching piano lessons (many of my disaster stories start with: "I was teaching piano," by the way), and halfway through my first piano lesson, I realized that the boys were playing outside, but they were being far too quiet to be safe.  I excused myself to my student and ran outside to realize that they had the hose on. 
In an established yard, this would not be so much of an issue--but in our yard, which still consists of trenches, half-buried sprinkler pipes, dirt, and a broken chicken coop, having the hose on always ends up with near-apocalyptic consequences.  So, I turned the hose off, told them firmly not to turn it on again, because we had a piano recital in an hour and a half, and I couldn't clean up any big messes, and then I went back in to finish my lesson.
The lesson finished, and my next student showed up immediately--I excused myself quickly and went back to check on the boys, and although I couldn't see them, I could hear them talking and laughing, and the hose was off, so I was satisfied.  I went in to teach my next student, and half an hour later, just as we were finishing and she was walking out the door, Jack came in, soaked from head to toe, and smelling like chicken poop.
"Mom!!  The chicken is dead!!" he gasped.
I allowed my student to see herself to the door and immediately high-tailed it outside, only to see Clark sitting in the kiddie pool, which was now filled with muddy water, holding a chicken by its neck.
Anyone ever seen a half-drowned chicken?
 
Not a pretty picture.  I pulled the (still-alive, but understandably quite unhappy) chicken out of Clark's chubby little grasp, and snapped, "Get inside and take your clothes off.  NOW."  Jack wisely obeyed immediately, but Clark protested.
"But, Mom--we were giving it a bath--"
"I don't care.  I have 40 people coming to our house in an hour.  Get in your room."
I don't know how much of what I was saying he understood, but he understood the tone, and scurried off. 
I dried the chicken off as best as I could--it stood there shivering, and didn't even attempt to run--and put it back in the coop.  After watching to make sure that the other chickens wouldn't attack it, I ran inside, and saw that, true to form, the kids had gotten distracted and forgotten that I had asked them to take their muddy clothes off.
I shut the door on them after threatening them once again, texted Steve to ask him to bring dinner home, and got cleaning. 
Luckily, that night ended up well--I never yelled at or spanked the kids, and the piano recital went better than I could have hoped. My students performed great, their parents were thrilled, and even though the boys' room smelled like a wet barn, I kept their door closed and no one ever knew.  I was pretty proud of myself for not losing my temper in such a stressful situation, and went to bed patting myself on the back.
Fast forward to this morning.
My four-year-old son has now been potty-trained for a year, which has been a huge blessing (our diaper bill was pretty outrageous)...but for the past three or four weeks, he has been having accidents in his underwear.  Daily.  I'm not talking Number One accidents--he's great about going Number One in the potty.  No, we're talking poop.
And this morning was a doozy.  So I stole an idea from the internet and did this:

But--once again, I didn't yell or spank.  So I'm improving, right?
I do think I'm going to stop praying for patience, though.
I don't think I can handle any other opportunities to learn it.

Comments

Jenn said…
I LOVE this picture. Hilarious, and I am totally sorry that you had to clean that up BTW, but I am glad that you have a sense of humor and are willing to share it with us moms who are in the trenches right beside you, anxious for any poop/water/mud/broken bone/vomit/public nudity stories that don't involve our own children, and make our own parenting merry-go-round seem more normal. I love you dear. I am happy that though we are 2000 miles apart we are on this mom journey together! MUH!
Jeremy said…
Jewel, the irony is crazy, if I didn't know you wrote this, I would have sworn Ditte wrote this! Except the poop part, Scotty is almost 5, Ditte teaches piano, our boys play with water and are constantly letting the chickens out. Ditte feels the same way with anger management issues too. I'll have to tell her to give you a call soon.
bepluvstrack said…
That is too funny. Easy answer? Don't have a yard. You can come live in our condo complex (no worries, I'm just jealous I don't have a yard to get muddy myself.)

Very funny. Hope the chicken's ok!
Heather said…
AAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHH! Oh my word I don't know how people do it. I am sure I will learn how to do it when it is my turn, but in the meantime I am going to enjoy my fertility-challenged days. You are a rockstar, lady. Keep celebrating the small victories - and the big ones, too, because the poop one is a BIG victory in my eyes.
Jennifer said…
Oh Jewel! That picture of Jack is PRICELESS!!! I am going to get me a sign like that!!!! lol!!!! That ones gonna be in the wedding slide show when he get married FOR SURE! Laughter really is the best medicine!
And keep praying for patience! Don't ever stop doing that! What would we do without your "near apocalyptic" blog posts to look forward to?