Thinking out loud

Clark is growing like a weed. He's getting so chubby--I don't know what it is about my milk, but apparantly it's really fattening, because that kid is getting some major rolls....he's also getting to where he's more alert, which is fun. He'll just lie there and look around--compared to Jack, he really is a mellow baby!! I'm hoping it continues to be a defining characteristic, because Jack is anything but mellow, which is fun, but exhausting. It's nice to have a relatively easy baby this time around. :)
Jack loves kissing and hugging Clark, which I'm grateful for (I had visions before Clark was born of Jack trying to hit or push his little brother away), but I can't leave him alone with Clark for a moment, because he's always trying to pick him up! Today I went in the kitchen to grab a plate (it took me about two seconds), heard Jack running from his room to the couch where Clark was lying, and ran in there to see Jack trying to pull him off the couch. I got there just in time to grab him before he was dropped, but it's exhausting having to take either one or the other with me everywhere I go. I have a sling that I like to use, and it's quite helpful, but after an hour or so of wearing it, it starts to hurt my back.
So, I forgot just how much (and how often) newborn babies poop! It's ridiculous!! Clark has pooped or peed right through an average of 4 outfits a day for the past week and a half...it's irritating, but it makes me really grateful we have a working washing machine. Between his sheets and blankets and our sheets and blankets and his clothes and my clothes, I'm getting really good at doing laundry.
Steve was out of town last night and all of today. He had a work meeting in the Valley and decided to use this time to do a little car shopping--we're outgrowing our Yaris quite quickly, and although he originally wanted to just upgrade to a 5-seater sedan, I quickly talked him out of it and into either a minivan or crossover (because, let's face it--at the rate we're going, we'd outgrow a 5-seater in about two years, and if we're investing in something, I'd like to invest in something we'll be in for at least a little while). I don't want an SUV because they're gas-guzzlers, and he doesn't want a minivan because, in his words, "they suck," but we'll see what we find for cheap. I'm nervous to be making this big of an investment, but it's time. I just don't want to have a car payment again--we paid our Yaris off in March, and it's been so nice knowing that we own it outright. Oh, well. What can you do?
Anyways, with him being out of town, and me knowing that it was just me and the two kids for two days straight, I was pretty nervous, but it actually hasn't been too bad--the weather has been ridiculously warm for mid-December, so Jack was able to go play in the backyard for a couple of hours today, which put both him and me in a better mood. He just went to bed, and I can hear him still playing in his room. At least he hasn't opened the door--he's now a pro at opening doors, and although we purchased those childproof doorknob covers, he knows how to take them off. That was money right down the drain.
Steve's parents came up for a "post-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving dinner" last Saturday and Sunday, and it was just plain wonderful! She brought all of the fixings for a Thanksgiving feast (except for a couple of pies, which I made--lemon meringue and apple), and we sent Dad, Steve, and Jack to Walmart, which gave us a couple of hours of just talking, which was bliss. I sure have missed her. We just don't get to see Steve's family very much, and when we do, it's usually on crazy busy occasions where it's impossible to spend any time together. I know Jack loved getting to spend time with them--every time he sees them, he just gets so excited.
So, random tangent (actually, this whole post has been one random tangent after the other, so you should be applauded for making it this far without falling asleep or rolling your eyes), Clark will be a month old on Thursday!! It's crazy how fast this time has gone, and how fast he's changed, and it makes me a little sad that he's already gained at least two pounds since he's been born and is already too big for a couple of his sleepers. I just love this newborn stage, and it goes so darn fast. It almost hurts my heart to think what a short time has passed since Jack was at this stage, and how much he's changed, and how fast my little Clark will change, too. But I guess all I can do is just appreciate the time I have snuggling my little baby right now, and take the changes as they come.
Well, I guess that's enough rambling for tonight. If you made it this far, congrats!! I applaud your stamina!

Comments

Amy said…
Just go for the minivan...they're awesome. Tell Steve I was a little sad when I "had" to sell my truck to get the minivan, but it is so dang handy that I love it. And the sliding doors are more handy than you know when trying to wrestle kids into car seats in tight-spaced parking lots.

David says the minivans are ugly, but he still really likes ours. :)
Heather said…
I laughed when out of nowhere you said that Steve says, "They suck." Hahaha. Classic Steve. Man, I miss you guys.
Kelly said…
See if you can tack down a Mazda MPV - drives like a sedan, better turning radius than our sedan, actually... but room for 7, technically. I'd saw no more than 6. We love ours.

I loved this post! It was like Jewel's thoughts to Kelly. Not that you wrote it for me in particular but that's how I took it.

Babies grow WAY too fast. I'm not a huge newborn fan in the moment but I love it in retrospect hahaha... that's what keeps me baby hungry I guess.
Jenn said…
I can't believe that Clark is going to be a month old!!! WHAT??! It seems SO fast and crazy to me. Matt and I are having the SUV vs Minivan debate at our house too. Good luck with that :) If you figure out a good way to persuade him let me know what it is! Anyway, I love to hear your random thoughts and get a little busch update! Keep 'em coming!