Hormones are a Beast

Yesterday, I had my first full-on "Baby Blues" day since Clark was born. I've had Baby Blues moments, but yesterday was the first entire day that I was just plain sad all day long, and couldn't cheer up, despite my best efforts. You know that feeling?
I'm sure it was because Steve had been out of town for three days and two nights, I had been alone with two kids under two for that long, and I hadn't slept much for either of those two nights because I hate sleeping in bed without my husband there. Add to that the fact that Jack decided to forgo his naps for those three days, he was getting into everything possible (and some things that shouldn't be possible but somehow were), and Clark was still keeping up his poop-through-three-outfits-a-day schedule, and I can now understand why I was a little bit melancholy.
In my defense, I tried to get out of it the best I could--we went on walks, I played in the backyard with Jack (by backyard, I mean the fenced-in area of dirt and weeds we have behind our house), I sang songs and danced with Jack to try to get my blood moving, I prayed and read my scriptures in more depth than I usually do, and I even went to visit a couple of neighbors. I kept repeating my mantra of "it's okay--I'm just tired/hormonal/bored/lonely," to myself to try to explain why I was feeling so incredibly unhappy.
It didn't work--despite everything I could do, I was still just sad. I had a few months like that after we moved to Snowflake, when Jack was brand-new, but this was my first time since Clark's birth to be so blue, and I forgot that, while there are explanations to why I'm having these emotions (mainly hormones), these emotions are still very real. And still very unpleasant.
Luckily, once Steve got home, he worked hard at helping me be happy again....we had a yummy dinner, he gave Jack a bath while I did dishes, and we drove around looking at Christmas lights and listening to Christmas music before coming home and putting Jack to bed, which really helped me feel more peaceful. I'm grateful for such an understanding and patient husband who has the ability to help me get out of slumps I may experience.
I guess yesterday also reminded me of how grateful I am that I'm not usually an unhappy person. I'm usually a positive, happy person who is prone to look on the bright side of things, and I'm lucky that that's a part of my personality. I've struggled with depression and negativism before in my life, and it's not a fun issue to have--and yesterday was like returning to those times in my life, and it served to show me how wonderful my life really is.
So, I guess the point of this blog is...well...okay, who am I kidding? My entries rarely, if ever, have a point. But I've learned once again how the Atonement's power can help us rise above negative feelings and thoughts. I also realized that sometimes Heavenly Father puts people in our lives who are willing to help us when we really can't help ourselves rise above those feelings. Hopefully someday I can be one of those people to help others. But for now, I'm grateful for those around me who are helping me.

Comments

Heather said…
I'm grateful you have a husband like that, too! I don't like to think of my Jewel-io as sad. :(
Eva said…
Hope you are feeling happy again soon! I always say I'd rather go through labor and delivery all over rather than the first two months of depression and poop and crying. But then I'd miss the precious, tiny, heavenly baby too. Good luck. You are a strong, lovely, happy person and it will all come back to you soon.
russandkatie said…
I'm impressed you turned to the scriptures and prayer, what an amazing person you are!!!
Cristin said…
Hormones are a beast. This should be the title of this chapter in my life right now. I usually don't get Baby Blues after I have the baby, but with each kid it has come DURING the pregnancy. Not fun right now. I am also grateful that I don't suffer from 24-7 all my life depression. That would bite.
John and Lisa said…
I agree, hormones ARE a beast. As I was reading this entry...it really took me back to when I had all small children. As happy as I was at that time in my life to be doing what I was doing...I still had days like you describe, and they were hard to get through. You aren't alone, Jewel. You are so wise to get out, talk with neighbors, etc. I think of the days I'd sit out on the steps of our apartment with Jonna and Hank, just waiting for John to get home...waiting for some relief and adult companionship. It's good you have this blog...It's got to be therapeutic, writing it down, processing it. Hang in there on those downer days...you are in such a beautiful time of your life. Even with all the diapers and spit up, and chasing a very active toddler...you are an angel doing a difficult but honorable job. And one day, those fruits of your labors WILL be there for you to savor. Love ya.
Ugh, baby blues are the worst. The thing is, I think it's totally the situation that causes it in most people. I got them all the time with Riley (that girl NEVER EVER slept), so don't feel bad. Your day definitely deserved a sad day...but glad Steve is home to help out.