Learning Curve

Is it bad that I'm frustrated with my son because he's hitting new milestones?
He has learned a LOT of new things this week, and it's driving me CRAZY.
See how we've arranged our chairs?
He's learned to push chairs around. And not only push them around, but push them to the counter, so he can climb up on said counter and play with all of the extremely dangerous and unsafe items I keep up there. I should say "kept." I'm quickly re-evaluating my kitchen layout.
Tonight, he climbed into his high chair--all by himself. I thought it was so cute how he was just chillin' in his own chair...but I just know one of these days he's going to fall on our extremely hard tile floor and bust his head open.
Other things he's learned how to do in the last week:
Open the fridge (AAARRGGHHH!)
Climb up from our toilet onto our bathroom counter
Climb up my parents' kitchen stools onto THEIR kitchen counter
Climb up the piano bench onto the piano
*Edited to add: AND he opens our sliding glass door into the backyard. Even when it's "locked." Argh.
And--although this one I can fully rejoice about, rather than feeling sick to my stomach--he now says the word "Dad." And means it to refer to his dad.
I'm just dreading the day he opens doors. He's actually done it a couple of times, but both times he thought it was just a fluke and couldn't replicate the action. But I know that means it's coming soon, and then NOTHING will be safe.
Any hints for how to completely reorganize my kitchen so that nothing is on the counters?

Comments

Cristin said…
Ahhh, this reminds me of Luke. I'm trying to remember what we did. We had a refrigerator AND oven lock. (Yes, he would open the oven a lot.) And LOTS of baby locks. Fortunately, we had a lot of cabinet space in the kitchen, so we just moved everything from the counters to the cabinets. However, my aunt told me that she actually hung the chairs ON THE WALL when her son was little. Erik tried tying our chairs to the table once and that was a joke.
John and Lisa said…
Sounds like Hank too. Hank learned to crawl out of his crib at 15 months. I had to lock him in his room at night because he'd want to wander. I learned to put the chairs ON the table, and I'd put crisco on the door knobs -it made the doorknob too slippery for him to open(because he learned how to pull the "childproof" door thingys off). All I can say, is...somehow, it becomes a way of life, and becomes "normal". Pretty soon, it's second nature to go into someone else's house, do a quick span of the room and know immediately what you need to watch out for! Good luck!!!!! You WILL survive this new learning curve!! Love ya!
Amy said…
No thoughts on the kitchen reorganization, since I haven't seen your kitchen yet, but if I were you I'd invest in one of those door stops you install up high (ours is a little flap that closes on the door). That thing has saved us numerous times, and when I forget to close it, watch out!

One time, because I knew David was coming home soon and usually comes in the front door, I purposely left it open so he could get in while I was in the shower. I thought, "surely the kids won't notice it and it'll be fine for just a few minutes." It would've been had the garbage truck not come. While I'm in the shower I hear Josh yell out, "Mom, the garbage truck!" I knew they would try going outside to see it, so I hurry and get out of the shower, wrap a towel around me to go and round my kids up before they get ran over. Luckily they obeyed and came in quickly so I didn't have to chase them around outside so scantily clad!
Heather said…
Man, what a week! I have no advice as a childless youngest child, but I feel for you. And am slightly scared of having my own children.
Sare said…
Awesome!! And your picture...you look GREAT!!! AWE...I miss you!!
Jenn said…
sigh. I feel your pain. I try to keep up with Izzie, but everyday I am just sure that THIS will be the day we end up in urgent care, due to her desire to climb up on and jump off of, any and everything. I do my best and then have just kind of accepted the fact that I can only do so much, each time I learn how to block one thing she has found a new way around another. Smiling at me while she does. We NEVER had to worry about this stuff with Lily.
Jennifer said…
I know I always have a "my kid did THIS" story for you.....

....but can I just reminisce about Addie getting my knives out and laying them out on the counter at his age?

WalMart had fridge locks. I like them a lot.
Jennifer said…
...excuse my typo...I am sure Wal Mart still has fridge locks...not "had"....although my bigger kids get chairs and unlock them. And I agree with Amy about the door latch.

...the good news is that really....he will settle down...someday! :)