Argyle Dreams...and Nightmares

Does anyone else make plans to get something done by a certain deadline, and then as the deadline approaches, they realize--"Holy crap!! That's tomorrow!!"? We've been planning on moving Jack into our guest room a couple of months before Boy 2.0 makes his appearance (translated--beginning of September), but the problem was--that was the only room in our house (besides the kids' bathroom) that had not yet been painted, so obviously that needed to be remedied before Jack moved in...which we had planned on happening by next week.
In April, when Steve and I were helping with the high school's production of "Bye-Bye Birdie," one of the sets had this awesome pink argyle pattern, and we both just fell in love. So we decided then and there that that was the pattern we would use in the guest room--only in blue and green.
Little did we know then what we were getting into. I'll warn you this--if you hate taping, measuring, or time-consuming projects, an argyle pattern is not for you.
We did this part last Friday--this was probably the hardest part, just trying to get all of the measurements figured out and getting the tape to the exact lines it needed to be on.
I painted all of the blues in while Steve was at work on Monday--surprisingly enough, it didn't take me very long--just a couple of hours.
And today I added the green touches. It's actually a very good thing that these are fuzzy pictures taken with my phone, because if they were clear at all, you'd be able to see all of the mistakes and pencil markings (that we'll have to go over with white, unless one of you knows a good way to get pencil off of flat white paint--anyone? Anyone?).
I added the green stripe on the side because our wall wasn't even--measuring was a beast because the side wasn't level (or maybe I just wasn't measuring right), so I just decided to fill that whole part in. How's that for lazy?
So, there you go!! That's what I've been doing the past few days, and I actually really like how it turned out. Now we just have to get the rest of the room decorated and organized.

Comments

Heather said…
Impressive! I'm not sure I have the skills to accomplish anything like that, so when I finally have a house, will you do that for me? I pay in brownies.
Kelly said…
Magic eraser, Jewel-i-o. Try that before you bust the white paint out again.

That looks AMAZING. I'm TOTALLY the person who does that, too. I get all psyched about a project and then I get way overwhelmed when I have to do it but theeeen I'm so very glad I did it. :) Yeah, I getcha.
Alicia said…
Way to go, Jewel!!!!!!!! I love it! You're amazing. You're just amazing.
Ginny said…
wow that looks sooo good!!! i don't think i would have the patience to finish a project like that...let alone pregnant! way to go!! :)
Jennifer said…
I always have to wonder why people even invented flat paint......

BUT....your argyle wall is WAY cool! Totally impressed! Invite me over so I can see it! I love that you like paint and decorate your house...unlike me....
Brie said…
That is absolutely adorable! I LOVE it! What a fun room for a little boy.
Okay, how cool is that? I've never seen a wall painted in argyle before. Love!
Tawna said…
I was just going to say "magic eraser" but Kelly beat me to it. They are such amazing little sponge-like things. Really, I am amazed.
Also, I'm amazed by your painting abilities. That took some serious skill! :)
John and Lisa said…
I can hardly wait to see this in person! Love, love, LOVE this!