Bedtime Blues

Jack has a problem. Okay, I have a problem, but it's affecting Jack, so it's his problem, too.

I can NOT get him to go to bed without it being a huge ordeal. I've done all sorts of things--I've established a nightly routine where I feed him dinner in the high chair, give him a bath (with the special nighttime baby shampoo and lotion, even!), get him in his jammies, then rock him, hum to him, nurse him, and listen to classical music while he gets sleepy (Doesn't that make me sound like a good mom? I only say that, because I feel like anything but a good mom right now). Then I lay him down.

Now, one of two things happens: One, I've nursed him long enough that he's actually sound asleep, so when I lay him down, he rolls over and goes right to sleep. Or two, I nurse him for the exact same amount of time as the other times, sometimes even longer, but he's not asleep yet. So he screams.
And screams.
And screams.

Then, I either feel bad and go in and get him out of the crib, calm him down, and try to nurse him till he falls asleep for real this time, or I just let him cry it out. I hate letting him cry it out. It makes me feel like the worst mother in the world to hear my baby crying for me like that and not going in to make it better.

Tonight was a "crying it out" night. I was tired and sore from our trip, and I just didn't have it in me to keep letting him try to nurse. So I laid him down and started giving Steve a haircut, so I wouldn't be able to go back in and get him.

He cried for half an hour, and then finally quieted down. When I went in to check on him, I found this:

I really feel like a terrible mother.

Comments

Claire said…
:( I feel your pain! I HATED letting Cecelia cry it out... BUT it did work eventually and now she falls asleep wonderfully on her own. Good luck!!!
Do it now! That is my only suggestion. I had such a hard time and am still struggling with it every once and a while.
The Rector Clan said…
Oh Jewel...you are a fantastic mom!! I'm sure I'll be going through this same thing soon, but all you can do is pray and keep smiling! :) Good luck!
Heather said…
Does it make me a bad person that I laughed at the little outreached hand? So dramatic. He is definitely his daddy's boy. ;)

Now about this "terrible mother" business, you better stop that right now or I will have to...to...yeah, I don't know what I'll do but you better stop feeling like you're a terrible mom! Because, really, if YOU'RE terrible mom, I'm scared to think of the type of mother I'll be. Yikes.
The Ellsworth's said…
You are not terrible mother. I promise! :)

It just takes time and patience. Try getting him the little sea horse at wal-mart. When you push his tummy it lights up and soft classical music plays. Ever since we've put that toy in baby girl's crip months ago, she's never cried when we laid her down. It's worth a try.

You're doing a great job though. You look beautiful and your son is so cute! Tell steve, Darin and Kira say hi!
sb said…
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Our 6-month-old goes through something similar every night (either nursing to sleep or crying). Every once in awhile she'll fall asleep without any fuss at all, but I don't know what the difference is. Naptimes are the same thing. What do you do then? At any rate, you're doing just fine - if we are bad mothers, then generations before us have been bad as well and we'd all be screwed up. (Uh, well, maybe we are... :) BTW, I'm an old church friend of Steve's.
Jewel said…
Heather, Steve was actually the first one to see the position he fell asleep in, and he started cracking up. Yes, Jack is definitely his daddy's boy. Everything is completely dramatic. Just you wait. Your turn will come. :)
Cristin said…
I had the same problem with Luke. "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley helped me a lot. She has this method where you nurse and then pull off so that your child is drowsy but not totally asleep so that they learn to fall asleep on their own. I think it would be worth reading.
Else said…
I am not good at the "crying it out" method. So another book I read, Solving Your Child's Sleep Problems by Richard Ferber, suggest that you let them cry for 10 minutes then go in a soothe them but don't pick them up. Then if they cry again, wait 15 minutes. The trick is to teach them to fall asleep on their own and not to be their "sandman." We are still working on Charlotte but it's getting better so I know there's hope for you!
Jewel...I feel your pain! Judd screamed for months. He is 13.5 months old and just barley going to sleep on his own. Its so hard and I know how it makes you feel! You are a great mom!
Jennifer said…
I haven't read any of those "going to sleep witout crying books"...though I have heard from people who really like them. This whole "cry it out" thing can be very controversial amoungst mothers. My kids always go through phases where they go to sleep and stay asleep with out a problem as babies...and then they have the phases where they just wont sleep! Then usually they get a tooth or ear infection or something and I am like, "OH! That's why you were crying so much!" This crying stuff Jack's doing is all a part of him being a baby and you being a mom and you'd be abmornal if you didn't think you were terrible for not knowing exactly what your child needs at all times! You're doing a great job and you're gonna figure out what works for you guys!

....and remember...."This too shall pass!"

I love the picture! My friend has one on her blog of her little boy...It's actually a picture of the door to his room with little fingers sticking out from under it. They have to basically lock him in his room to get him to fall asleep...and that how they found him one night!
Sare said…
You are SO not a terrible mother!!! it will be best if you let him cry...it will get better!!!
Mindy said…
I don't do the "cry it out" method and I liked the "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley that someone else mentioned. My best advice is pray about it, go by the spirit, and do what feels right. You are not a bad mother though.