My life is a country song

Or so it seems.

In just the last weekend, we had more countryfying (it didn't use to be a word, but it is now) experiences than we've had in the past year...and living in Snowflake, that's quite an accomplishment.

First off, we attended an animal auction at the county fair. My siblings were all in attendance, as they were selling pigs for 4-H, and Steve needed to go and represent the local Wells Fargo branch, as they usually buy a pig and then donate half of the meat to the volunteer fire department and the other half to a rest home here in town, so I went along with him, and helped translate ("Okay--it's a dollar a pound now. Do you want to bid?" "Now it's 2.50. Get the card down!! You don't want to bid now!!").

While we were there, a nice lady made a balloon giraffe for Jack. He enjoyed sucking on it until I took it away (I may not be the best mommy ever, but I do know that sucking on balloon animals isn't exactly the best activity for a 6-month-old).
The next day, we went up to Pinetop-Lakeside for their yearly tradition...they have several local business owners dress up in old Western outfits and rob the Wells Fargo wagon, after which they have a hanging, which was behind one of the local bars. Yes, I took my child to a bar. Don't judge. We had Jack take a picture with one of the bar maids:
Note: I'm not even lying--the average age of these bar maids was about 60-ish. And they were all chain smokers--the float behind her is covered in cigarette packages. It was so bad, it was funny. They were nice, though.


Then that night, for our ward social, they had face painting! We thought it was appropriate to put a Jack-o-lantern on Jack's face:
after which we all enjoyed some good hamburgers, salad, and various desserts typically found at a ward party. It was good times.

Afterwards, we came home and decorated for Halloween. I felt like I owed that much to Steve.

Comments

Cristin said…
Ha ha. I loved this post. I thought my life here was very redneck and then I read your blog. Ha ha.
Shauni said…
Yep, that's my hometown! Although, I must admit that I've never even heard of that tradition. Must be fairly new! Is it part of the Fall Festival?
Jennifer said…
LOVE this post....Jack with the bar maid is GREAT!
Larson Family said…
You guys sound like you are having so much fun! By the way, Jack is really such a cute little baby! I can't wait to see you guys again!
Love,
Kayla