Being a Momma

Why is this such a crazy emotional experience? Literally, one moment, I'll be trying to get something done, frustrated because Jack is fussing and crying and wanting me to carry him around as I try to (fill in the blank here)...but carrying him, even in my sling, is rather difficult, not only because he's 20 pounds already (not exaggerating--he's already wearing 12-month clothing), but also because he is so. darn. squirmy.

So then I'll finally turn towards him, exasperated, and he'll give me this face:
And then I feel bad because I'm not taking advantage of every precious moment that I've been given to have my little boy with me, just me and him.

I know this time goes by quickly, and I know that I should appreciate it. But somehow, I find myself more often than not only watching that time slip by, but hoping it will go even faster so that Steve can come home sooner and give me at least a little bit of decent conversation and maybe even a break so I can get something done.

It's a Jack-in-the-box!! Get it?
But then I stop and look at old pictures of my baby, and look at how much he's grown and changed and developed already, and my heart literally hurts at how fast this time really is going. Then I'll hold him and snuggle him (as much as he allows me--he's not much of a snuggler, really) and kiss him and tell him how much I love him and hope that that makes up for my previous bad mothering.
Now, the question is, how do I keep this perspective all the time?
*P.S. Sorry about the blurriness of all of my pictures lately--I can't find my camera (once again, thanks to the move) so I'm just using the one on my phone. Not the best quality.

Comments

Kelly said…
It's totally a perspective thing and I doubt anyone CAN do it all the time... but I find that it helps to remember that there is nothing I am doing, ever, that is more important than Gwenna. Yes, sometimes she's pulling at my legs while I'm getting dinner done, but I"ll be darned if I'm going to be doing the dishes rather than playing with her, if she wants to be playing... It's just a give and take, I guess. I feel like 90% of my blog is dedicated to telling myself that these moments don't last.
Alicia said…
Mothering is wonderfully hard. I can't imagine myself doing anything else. Except when I'm changing the diaper on one kid and chasing the other around trying to get her dressed before she trashes the ENTIRE house... at those times I can really imagine myself doing anything else. Anything at all. I never thought I'd be so excited to get my dishes done. Ha ha!
Sare said…
Am much as I CRAVE having kids...I'm so scared too. I want to be an amazing mom, but I fear all the things you just voiced. I Don't think it ever really changes either. Well I guess when you have grand kids - so I've heard. I'm not helping am I? Okay...I don't know, but they were cute pictures!!!
said…
Just came across your blog...your little guy is SO cute! :) Keep taking those pictures to capture as many sweet memories as you can!
Jennifer said…
If you EVER figure out how to keep that "I love my kid(s) and I am never going to feel anything but loving, nurturing feelings towards them" perspective ALL the time...it will be like stiking gold! I for one don't think that it is impossible because #1 we aren't perfect and #2 neither are our kids. BUT...as our kids get older and more independent (which is the very thing we WANT for them....but mourn happening) things get easier...the house stays cleaner...they understand and obey better....it's all a learning process....you have to have the good with the bad or you're not learning and neither will your kids. Right???
Jennifer said…
oops...I meant "possible" not "impossible"...I mean...I guess it ISN'T impossible...it just hasn't happened for me yet! :)