Best Husband Ever

So, on Sunday, we celebrated our 9-month anniversary. And, in order to celebrate, my husband told me to keep Tuesday night open. On Monday night, he asked what I was planning on doing--I let him know that I had piano lessons, but that was it. So, he told me that he wanted me to go shopping during the day to buy a new dress (I've kind of outgrown all of my other ones), and that night, after dinner, we were going to go see The Lion King, which is currently running at Gammage.

WHAT?!?! Isn't he amazing? I just have to say: A.MA.ZING.

Not going to lie, I was a little nervous to see it, because I love the movie so much, and it's so iconic, I really didn't know what to expect--how do you transfer that to the stage? To tell the truth, you can't compare it to the movie--for example, I liked how Mufasa was portrayed in the play, but there's just something about James Earl Jones' voice that makes anyone else who tries to say those same lines sound bad in comparison. And most of the dialogue is the exact same as in the movie, but performed very differently, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you felt about the movie. But all in all, I LOVED it.

My favorite character was definitely Rafiki, and one of the songs she sings, "He lives in you," gave me chills, as did the opening, "The Circle of Life." It was just phenominal to see how they made the animals come alive on stage--they even came down through the aisles in the audience, so they were really close to you. And I am just floored by the creativity in people coming up with these incredible costumes--it was very artistic.

So my husband is definitely the best ever. No doubt about it.

Comments

Olivia* said…
That's awesome! We go tot go a about a week ago and had so much fun! There are a lot of things that I felt translated well to stage and some that didn't. I definitely love all the animal costumes and the women voices were great. One thing I wasn't so found of was when those hyenas come out and do a dance number. It felt like a bad 90's dance video. The dance and the music just didn't fit. Maybe it was just me... Oh and didn't you just love how the clouds and Sun came up in Circle of life. I loved that!
Jennifer said…
I am WAY excited to hear your review! We bought tickets months ago for this show. We're going in Feb...just me, Brandon and Kaitlyn...we haven't told Kaitlyn yet.
Cristin said…
I'm really jealous. I would like a surprise like that!
russandkatie said…
Yeah for fun dates with husbands!!!
Pam said…
Jewel i'm commenting on almost all of your blog thingies!!:)(I don't know what they are called) You are so lucky that you got to go to that. The Lion King is my favoritist Disney movie ever!!! I'm going to see it someday, and you made me even more ambitious. Love ya more than chocolate!!!
Your loving sister,
~Molly~