2008 in Review

So I've actually wanted to do this post for some time, but didn't get around to it. Story of my life. But I figure better late than never, right?

On January 8th, we celebrated a pretty big anniversary: that was the day I returned home from my mission last year. In order to celebrate, Steve took me on a fun date that night--out to dinner at Olive Garden, and then to the Zoo Lights (a beautiful Christmas light display at the Phoenix Zoo. No, they don't put lights on any of the actual animals, Steve was disappointed to find out), after which we came home and reminisced about our favorite (and some not-so-favorite) membories from last year. Here's a month-by-month replay:

January: I was released as a full-time missionary, Steve got a promotion as Service Manager for Wells Fargo, I moved down to Mesa and got a job as a teacher at a Day Care, and we started dating again, picking up where we'd left off.

February: My brother, Shiloh, returned from his mission, we went on a Flake family trip to California (Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, and Ventura), Steve PROPOSED to me on the beach at sunset in Ventura, California, and of course, I said yes. :)

March: Wedding plans. Continued working for the day care center, Steve commuted to Mesa every day to come see me at my Aunt Lisa's, which is where I was living. Kept working and saving.

April: The happiest day of my life--April 18th, I was sealed for time and all eternity to the love of my life. We had an amazing honeymoon--went on a cruise to Mexico, Disneyland, and the San Diego temple. It was seriously perfect.

May: Started getting into the mode of being a stay-at-home wife. I had had some residual health issues from my mission, and so this month was wonderful in the fact that I could take it easy for the first time in a LONG time. Steve's brother, Andrew, left on his mission to England!!

June: Lots of trips to Snowflake--my brother got married, my grandpa passed away, and so we went up for both of those trips. The last day of June, our entire world was changed when we found out that I was pregnant!!

July: Another trip to Snowflake--this time to tell both sets of parents that we were expecting (even though Mom and Dad Busch figured it out earlier). We also had a fun camping trip for the 4th of July. Definitely a highlight!

August: I was sick. That's really mostly what I remember from this time period.

September: I started teaching piano lessons to some of the kids from my ward, which gave me something to do for at least three days of the week, but still was sick. Went up to Snowflake for Kari (my cousin)'s wedding. I was just starting to show by that time, so it was fun to see friends and family as a pregnant lady.

October: Our first Halloween together! I finally began feeling better around this time, and we were also in a stake play that helped us get to know several fun people from the stake better. It was fun to make such good friends!

November: Steve's birthday, our amazing Thanksgiving mini-vacation, the stake play performances (I was a 5-month-pregnant woman who was supposed to be playing a teenaged pioneer...it was a good thing I had a great costume that hid the baby bump!).

December: A wonderful Christmas, spent with both of our families and with each other.

New Year's: I finally got to kiss someone at midnight!! That was a first for both of us! :)

So, here's hoping the next year is going to be as wonderful (though, perhaps, not quite as full) as the last one!! Who knows what it's going to hold!!

Comments

John and Lisa said…
I love the 2008 review, Jewel. It sure does show how much can happen in a year, but how quick it goes by!! In once sense, it seems like so long ago that you lived with us. And in another sense...I can't believe it's already been a year! Wow!
Katrina Rasband said…
thanks for sharing, that was a wonderful story!
Jennifer said…
Love it...especially the part about you being a 15 year old pregnant pioneer! That's definitely something to remember! :) Love ya!