The Right to Vote

Today, I am thankful for the right we have as American citizens to express our opinions and vote. I was watching the news today, and they were showing people standing in lines that were over two hours long at the polls--but the amazing thing about these lines was that no one was acting irritated or angry by the fact that they had to wait so long to vote--in fact, most people, when asked about it, were just very matter of fact about it...

"People have been fighting for this right for hundreds and thousands of years, and I'm going to vote, even if it takes me all day to get in there,"

"I don't mind waiting 2 hours plus--in fact, it's exciting to see all of these voters turning out for this historic occasion!"

One father who was in line with his infant daughter who was, at the time, sleeping in her stroller, "It's worth it. She's okay, in fact, she's been remarkably happy during the time we've had to wait, so we're all good!"

I love seeing responsible Americans taking advantage of their right, privilege, and duty as citizens to go out there and have their voice be heard. I am so grateful I have had the privilege to be born an American citizen and have these rights given me that were earned by so many passionate, hard-working people who fought for those rights. I'm just praying that everyone who goes out and votes will be wise in their decisions!!

Comments

John and Lisa said…
I agree, Jewel. It's been an interesting day, and an interesting election in general. We'll see how it all turns out, huh? Did you know that NaElle drove up to Snowflake after work today to vote? After she votes, she's driving right back. That is one expensive vote, but she'll be able to use that story for years, on how important one vote is.