Tummy-rubbing

In Chinese tradition, rubbing the belly of this god is actually good luck--I know where they got the idea...watching people greet pregnant women.

Since I've been showing, the typical way people greet me (whether it be people I know well or not) is by coming up, putting a hand on my tummy, and saying, "Wow!! You're getting so big!"

Honestly, this doesn't offend or bother me, for several reasons:

1) I used to be guilty of the same offense...and probably still would be, if I were to greet a pregnant friend. I like to pat/rub my friends' tummies when they're pregnant...don't ask why, but it just seems like the natural thing to do!

2) Although it's much bigger and rounder than it has been in the past, my tummy is also much more firm than it's ever been before--so when people touch it, I don't have to worry about flexing or sucking in all the fat...it's there, just more stretched out, so it doesn't feel like it!

3) I'm proud of my tummy, dang it!! There's a baby in there!!

However, I'm starting to think that my attitude towards people rubbing my tummy is less than average--it kind of bothers Steve when people he doesn't know well come up to me and rub my tummy...kind of a protective, "that's-my-wife" feeling, I suppose, but as long as it's someone I know, I don't really mind all that much!

Am I completely weird, or are there other pregnant mommies out there who don't mind the tummy pat?

Comments

Heather said…
I wanna rub your tummy!! :(
Quinn said…
I remember being there. I would get annoyed, especially at the end. Mostly I was annoyed by the people that I had never seen before in my life. I have a personal bubble, and limits to how touchy-feely I am, so naturally I didn't like it when strangers would touch me. I hated it when those people would keep their hand on my tummy in the slight chance they'd feel movement. Just remember, it is your body, so you can ask someone to stop; I did.
trine k said…
I'm with you- I liked getting my tummy rubbed- except by REALLY strange people like the toothless woman at the beach holding a beer can...but even that was kind of funny. part of it is that it really doesn't happen to me all that often (there are lots of preggos up here in utah), so I'm not bugged at all when it does and I actually think it feels kinda good and comforting :) plus I am also magnetized to people's tummies, I really have to restrain myself since I don't know if that particular mom likes it or not
Jewel said…
Heather, I WANT you to rub my tummy! :(
Stephanie said…
That's so funny that even strangers come and rub your tummy. The only time I ever did this (I learned my lesson) was when I was about 8 in primary. A lady in our ward came in with a protruding belly, and I ran up to her, rubbed her belly, and said, "oh wow, when are you going to have your baby?" She glared at me and said, "I'm not pregnant." Since then, I have definitely steered clear of the belly rubbing temptation unless invited :) When are you due, by the way?
Sarah M Eden said…
Katherine still says you're too skinny to be having a baby. So it might take her awhile to get around to the belly rubbing. I'll be sure to tell her not to do it while Steve is around, or else: No smart donuts for her!