It's a....

Human!! I'm so relieved...with Steve as the father, I was a little bit worried. Love you, honey! :)

So, we went in for our first ultrasound on Monday, which was an incredible experience, to say the least. The little experience I've had with ultrasounds was when my parents brought home pictures of my younger siblings while they were yet in the womb, and to say that they were hard to discern would be an understatement--I would always nod politely and then go wander off to find a book as my parents sat there, squinting at the screen-- "Is that its face?" "I'm not exactly sure...or is that the spleen?" "No idea..."

Well, both Steve and I were pleasantly surprised to find out that technology, surprisingly enough, has actually advanced within the last decade. In fact, advanced enough that as soon as the technician placed the little wand thingie (yes, I know what I'm talking about, thank you very much) on my tummy, we could see exactly what we were looking at--our baby.

We saw the face first, and from that moment, I knew exactly what it was (but I'm not going to tell you till the end of the post--tricky, huh?) :) and was just gasping with excitement at seeing our little baby for the first time. We could see so many details--we even saw it squirm and yawn, and the little tongue sticking out as it yawned...it was truly amazing.

The baby, however, was definitely ours--it did everything it could to make it difficult for the technician to see exactly what the sex was by not only giving her the wrong view, but also hanging out way low in my pelvic area the entire time. The little munchkin was squirmy, too (something I've already figured out), which didn't make it any easier... but we finally got a good shot of the vital, in-between-the-legs area, and...there was something there!!

It's a boy!!

So now we're going to stores and passing all the little pretty frilly pink stuff and looking at cute little boy clothes...thinking of masculine names...preparing for an extremely hyperactive kid...(I knew that one was inevitable...with my husband's genes and my brothers' genes) and just thrilled out of our minds to be having a boy!!

Comments

Diana said…
Congratulations! That is so exciting! I am so glad you were able to find out the baby is actually HUMAN! You are funny! Hope you are feeling well and this little boy of yours is nice to you for the rest of his baking time.
Heather said…
WOO HOO!!!!! I'm excited to have a little Steve around who can laugh about poop with me.
trine k said…
yay Jewel and Steve!! Congrats!!! you'll have so much fun with a little boy!
Amy said…
Wahoo, boys are fun!
Mindy said…
Congrats on having a boy. They are so fun! Girls are fun too but in a different way. Boys will keep you on your toes, but it is so great.
Sarah M Eden said…
A boy... ahh... That's great. I would say boys are more active and hyper, but you know Katherine and would realize that, in my case, that would be lying. And I heard someone say once, "Lying is a sin, Benjamin Kay."
Congrats!!
Congratulations!!!! I am so happy for you two... three! This made me get all teared up (go figure!) I bet it is so fun to know so you can really start preparing!
Brie said…
Congratulations Jewel and Steve! That is so awesome! I am so happy for you two and your little boy! What a fun family you guys will be! And I also just read your post above this one and love the Halloween decorations! I am just like Steve, I love Halloween!