Feeling Baby

So, this post is long overdue--I've actually been feeling my baby move inside of me for a couple of weeks now, but I've been too lazy to write about it. Isn't that terrible? I judge myself. SO, this post is to make up for my laziness....Isn't repentance wonderful? :)

The first time I felt it move, I was sitting up in bed, just before Steve and I turned in for the night, and I honestly couldn't tell if it was gas or the baby...I didn't exactly know what I was feeling for, but since I've been pregnant, I've found that I seem to be a lot more in tune with what's going on with my body (aka, I'm paranoid), so when I felt such big flutters, I was pretty sure it was the baby moving. I was hesitant to tell Steve, in case I was wrong and it was gas (how embarrassing), but I told him anyway. He had his doubts, but conceded that I probably knew more about what I was talking about than he did.

Then, when I felt the same things about the same time the next night, I was sure it was the baby--flipping around and kicking and jumping off my uterus like it was a trampoline. I called for Steve to come feel it, and he, being the obedient husband he was, would place a hand over my bulging tummy, but it took a few days before he was able to feel anything...our conversations tended to be something like this:

Me: "Did you feel that? He's totally moving!!" (By the way, this is not a revelation, because we still don't know what the baby's sex is, but for some reason, whenever I talk about the baby moving, it's always a "he". Don't get all excited, Mom!)

Steve: "Nope."

Me: "Here. Try putting your hand down here..." moving his hand to a new position where I feel like the baby is trying out for the Olympics gymnastics team... "Now do you feel anything?"

Steve, looking somewhat confused: "Still nothing."

Me: "Well, just wait...he's moving like crazy..." I continue to gasp with wonder at every amazing movement I feel, while Steve is still looking a little bit bored and slightly put out at the fact that he can't feel anything I'm experiencing...

Steve: "I'll try again next time, I guess." as he rubs my tummy a little bit, so I don't feel rejected, and rolls over and goes to sleep.

We went through the above stated scenario for a few days, and then one day it changed a little bit...

Me: "Okay. You'll definitely feel him tonight. He's moving so strong!"

Steve, resigned this time, but still hopeful: "All right." Puts his hand on my tummy, and settles in for what he knows will probably be a 15-20 minute futile endeavor...and waits...

Me: "He's moving right about here....here, put your hand here..." move his hand and wait, and then gasp at the same time Steve gasps and gets a look of incredible wonder on his face... "Did you feel that?! It was a direct kick!!"

Steve, still slightly stunned: "I felt it! That's our baby!"

There are no words to describe the feeling. Mostly relief, so Steve finally knew that I haven't been faking it all along, but at the same time, a thrill of knowing that he could feel just a part of what I've been feeling--there really is a baby in there, and it's alive and well!! And Steve was so thrilled; now he voluntarily makes it our nightly routine to feel the baby kick (although it seems that I'll be feeling the baby kicking so strongly and regularly, and then as soon as I call Steve to come over and feel him, he stops. The baby already has a mind of his own, I guess!), and he loves to put his hand over my tummy and feel how round and firm it is. I am so blessed to have such an involved, loving, enthusiastic husband, aren't I?

Comments

John and Lisa said…
Love the story!!! Just glad he finally felt it. After 6 kids, I think John sometimes just pretended to feel it, just to make me feel better!!!
Jennifer said…
It's SO great to finally feel your baby kick huh? You read in book when it should happen and then that week comes and you haven't felt anything...and then when you finally do you are SO releived...but let me warn you...and I am sure you have experinced this already...now you're going to go worried when you don't think that "he" is moving around as much as he did the day before or if he doesn't move for hours...you'll get worried...I prayed alot to be able to feel my baby kick! If you REALLY wanna get him moving....drink a big glass of juice then lay down on your left side..."he'll" be kicking like crazy in no time. You DO know that you should try to sleep on your left side as often as you can right? Better circulation that way I guess.