Going Public

Conversation topics tend to change after people know you're pregnant. Suddenly, random people in the hallway at church, rather than asking, "Hey, how are you?" are saying, "So, have you been able to eat anything this week?" I've had some complete strangers ask me about my plans for breastfeeding--now, I don't consider myself a prude, but I used to be relatively uncomfortable talking about my breasts in public--not anymore, oh, no! My choice of conversation after Enrichment this week? How many times I've thrown up in the last week. Boy--am I ever a socialite!!

And doctor's appointments? Ha! I remember the first pelvic exam I ever had--I was terrified for days beforehand, and that day, after my appointment, I felt quite strange...and uncomfortable, as if I'd somehow been violated. Well, I'll just say I got over that one really quickly. Let's face it--I had to! Otherwise I'd be spending all of my time terrified for my next exam(s), and I've found that there are plenty of other things for me to worry about (like going through labor in 5 months).

It's funny how much changes so fast--but at the same time, it's like it's this bonding experience. Like, once other mothers know that I'm going through what they at one time went through, we can immediately become intimate, personal friends who can talk about things like that together, and it's not weird in the least. And it's true--it really isn't!! I kinda like being in this club!

Comments

Claire said…
:D Wait till you've given birth and started breastfeeding (if you choose to) I've lost every shred of modesty and decency I ever had!! I will whip out a boob in front of anyone. (To feed Cecelia of course!) And the conversation topics once you become a mom... talking about throw up was nothing compared to what it will become! I don't want to scare you away yet, but since becoming a mom, it is not uncommon to have conversations about diaper content. :D Welcome to the most wonderful club you will ever belong to!
Diana said…
I want to welcome you to the club also!!! It is a great one! I could talk about it all day. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask away. I don't know if you know or not but I had home-births with both girls. And Claire used hypno-birthing. I would recommend going as natural as possible! I understand some are not able to though.

Here's to sharing it ALL!!! :-)
Brie said…
I don't understand what you mean... I've never had a problem talking about your breasts in public...
John and Lisa said…
Hi Jewel! Gosh, I want to see pictures of your baby bump...although I'm sure you don't even have one yet, right? Thanks or the comment on my blog...it's funny, no lie, I'm sitting here right now, as we speak, transferring ALL your wedding pictures to an 8GB USB so you can have them all! Then I figured since it's taking awhile, I'd check my blog, and there you were! I'm sorry it took me so long...but I think you need these pictures before you have this baby, don't you think? Love you...