Miraculous Musical Numbers

Wow--today was wonderful. Well, maybe not all of it, but it ended up being a good experience, anyways.

True story, I did NOT want to go to ward choir this morning. Our church starts at 9:00, and choir is before it, starting at 8:10. Waaaaay too early for me these days, and this morning especially, I was feeling extremely nauseated. But I had been asked to sing a musical number in church, and since my accompanist was the choir director, I had guilt, so we got up and went.

Choir was actually pretty good, and after choir, we went in and practiced again for the number. I was kind of nervous about it, because not only did I want to throw up the entire time I was practicing, which is never good for your voice, but I also was nervous about the choice of song I had decided on. I had no idea what the theme of the sacrament meeting was supposed to be, but as I had been going through all of my church music (a couple of weeks earlier), I went through several different ones, but the only one that sounded good or that felt right was one about missionary work, and because I didn't know what the theme was, I was worried that it wouldn't apply. But, I figured Heavenly Father knew what He was doing, so I prayed really hard that it would be the right song, and it felt right, so I stuck with it.

This morning, however, as I said, I was pretty nervous, so I just kept a prayer in my heart, and as sacrament meeting started and I began getting sicker and sicker, I just asked Heavenly Father to let me not throw up until after my musical number. When the first counselor got up and began conducting and mentioned that the theme today was missionary work, I was grateful for that much, at least, but still worried that I wouldn't make it through the song, or even to the song.

I was miserable for the entire first half of the meeting, but a moment before time for the musical number, I suddenly felt good--happy and confident. That feeling carried me through the entire song, and even though I had sung the song many times before in preparation, and never been even remotely emotional, as I began the last verse, I nearly became choked up with emotion--gratitude that Heavenly Father was giving me the strength and energy I needed to share the message of the song that I was singing.

It sounds kind of cheesy now, and I'm not very good at expressing how I felt, but it really was another testimony to me that Heavenly Father is aware of our every need--even if it sounds dumb, like me asking to not have to run off the stage puking during a special number.

The rest of sacrament meeting was also wonderful, and even though I was struggling to pay attention during some of it (hey--I was just happy I wasn't either throwing up or fainting), I felt the Spirit during several different parts of the testimonies and talks.

And, I made it all the way through Primary!! YAY!! Didn't even throw up once! So today was definitely a good day for me.

Comments

John and Lisa said…
Oh, Jewel...first, thanks for the comment on my blog. I love when I hear someone actually stopped and visited! :-) Second...your story of singing at Sacrament meeting, and feeling so, so sick; my heart goes out to you!! I have more empathy for you than you will ever know...and unfortunately, I will sound like all my older sisters and their advice to me as I endured my first experience..."Hang in there, it WILL get better! Being sick is a good sign!" Ughghg. I remember those times so well, but somehow, I did it over and over and over and over and over again! Jewel, I'm happy for you! I'm sorry you're sick, but I'm so happy for you and Steve! Thanks for the updates. P.S. I REALLY need to get you your pictures! I'm sorry those CD's didn't work out! I've got an idea, I'll call you about it, ok? Love ya!
Else said…
Jewel, I too can vouch for Heavenly Father unconditional love for each of us, especially with "all day sickness" (it definitly is not just morning sickness). They say you start to feel better by the end of your 13th week. Well for me, that has come and gone, but somehow I still manage to make it through work, church, service, callings, activities and the mundance things I have to do daily. And the best is that even though I have felt like throwing up in very non-convenient places, I have managed only to throw up in the comforts of my own home. So hang on with me and with His help we will make it though another hour (I count by the hours instead of the days because it changes to rapidly). Then when our little angels are in our arms (and not crying) we will laugh and go, remember when we felt so sick.... just like everyone promises us. :-) Love you both.
Jennifer said…
I am SO glad you didn't puke! How awful would THAT have been...they might have had to cancel Sacrament meeting because of the smell! :)

On a serious note....isn't it AWESOME when the Lord gives us immediate answers to our prayers!? I love it when you KNOW you followed the Spirit and everything turns out great. Of course there are the other times when you pray your guts out and feel like nobody hears you and you think you're following the Spirit and everything turns out wrong...but it's all for a reason....I am SO glad you shared yout special experience with us!

Love ya! Hope you're having a "feeling good and not barfing" day!
Claire said…
Jewel!! I'm so glad you found my blog! And I'm so glad to know you have one too!! I'm a bit addicted to blogging, in case you couldn't tell.

You did so wonderfully with your musical number on Sunday. I had no idea you weren't feeling well so you played it off great. And I'm sure you could tell, but Cecelia thought your musical number was fantastic!