The joys of working air conditioning

It's funny how you can come to depend on something that, even though it's actually technically NOT necessary for survival, seems to be a necessity. You know what I'm talking about--like cell phones, Internet, and--yes, air conditioning. Especially in Glendale, Arizona, where it is regularly over 100 degrees, even AFTER the sun sets.

I came to especially value our air conditioning this last week, mostly because it was gone. Isn't that typical? I think sometimes Heavenly Father deprives us of something just to remind us to show gratitude for things that we usually don't think to be grateful for.

Our AC broke last Monday, actually--early in the morning. Luckily, even though our apartment complex doesn't seem to find most repairs too important (took the repairman over two weeks to come fix our door), they do understand the necessity of working AC, and the guy was over here looking at it within minutes. I love that!

Turned out that he couldn't fix it, so they would have to call the company to come fix it, and they wouldn't be over for a couple of days, but in order to leave us at least in a place we could survive in (I feel like a wimp complaining about this, especially because I went for a year and a half in Taiwan with no central AC the entire time, and it was humid, too!--but then again, I wasn't pregnant at the time), they brought over a portable AC unit that hooked up in our bedroom and kept that place a veritable refrigerator for the next couple of days.

So, the guys (and one girl) came over at a crazy time that's no longer in my vocabulary early Thursday morning to fix our AC...we had to clean ABSOLUTELY everything out of our closet, so the rest of our house was trashed, but they fixed it! It was absolutely lovely--for about three hours, or so. To tell the truth, I actually didn't notice the AC had broken again until Steve mentioned something later that evening when he came home. I had just assumed that because I'm pregnant, I'm always hot, so the fact that I was even more miserable than usual didn't seem to be a problem with the place, just with me.

But alas, because the indoor part of our AC unit was fixed, the outdoor part of our unit had problems trying to keep up with something suddenly 20 years younger than it was, so it quit, too!! So again, we called on Friday, they brought back the portable AC, and we had a sweaty weekend...but Monday morning, oh, joy of joys!!! To turn the thermostat down to 80 and have it feel cool....ahhhhh. Such a blessing.

Oh, and, about our house being trashed--Steve, being the amazing wonder-husband that he is, came straight home from work that night and cleaned up not only what used to be in the closet, but also the kitchen, our bathroom, our bedroom, AND vacuumed the front room and dining room. And he wouldn't let me lift a finger to help. Don't I have the best husband ever?

So, the moral of this story--be grateful for working AC. It's truly a miracle. And, if you ever need someone to help you clean your house--my husband's really good at it. :)

Comments

Heather said…
Oh, how I miss you Jewelio! I'm excited to see you in less than a week. WOO WOO!!!
Jenn said…
Oh my gosh, I could NOT survive. Our AC broke in our old apartment at the begining of the summer, like May or something and I went to my inlaws for the couple of days that it took them to completely replace the old unit. Pregnancy and heat do NOT mix. Especially if you are sick. Way to hang in there, I am glad it is fixed...now when can steve come and vacuum for me??
Corri said…
Jewel!!! Found you through Heather's blog. Sorry about your AC...that totally stinks and I know the feeling. Come check out our blog...
www.thenathanandcorristory.blogspot.com
Diana said…
Hi Jewel! I just saw your comment on Katie's blog so I thought I would come check you out. I need to update mine but of course you are welcome to see.

I hope are starting to feel better the further along you get! I know you still have a ways to go...but just remember this little one is sooooo worth all the yuckieness!!!